'70 Westy resto begins.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, t'inter's going slow and it's taken me 1/2 hour to upload 7 photo's.
WestyHome151.jpg

Someone's a bit pleased with the new toy!
WestyHome159.jpg

Clean cab floor
WestyHome162.jpg

Original vinyl flooring in not to bad a condition.
WestyHome167.jpg

Clean bed
WestyHome169.jpg

I had no idea it had a stool :D
WestyHome170.jpg

Bulkhead looks to be sound too
WestyHome187.jpg

Gonna try n upload a few more shots now.

great find - gonna be nice - mainly just a tidy up by the look of the pics so far :D

Loved the pics!! KIds look to be having a blast exploring the new bus!! :D

I loved the radio pic. Had to kind of chuckle. Only a few numbers for the stations id's, but yet the face is well worn from people changing the channels and volume. LOL Never thought an am radio would get that much use. LOL

Have fun cleaning it up and getting it road worthy. Can't wait to follow along with the progress!! :D

Thanks for all your comments.
I have 5 days off and am really looking forward to getting stuck into this project.
The plan is to strip out the interior and assess the condition of the cargo floor.
Repair the bad
Treat the not so bad and then crack on with the sills and wheel arches.

I will post some pics of the bad bits tonight.

looks a good bus ;) you must be chuffed ...........roll on summer 8)

chris

justcruzin said:
Loved the pics!! KIds look to be having a blast exploring the new bus!! :D

I loved the radio pic. Had to kind of chuckle. Only a few numbers for the stations id's, but yet the face is well worn from people changing the channels and volume. LOL Never thought an am radio would get that much use. LOL

Have fun cleaning it up and getting it road worthy. Can't wait to follow along with the progress!! :D

Kim, the kids are very excited (me too) about their first trip in the Bus so I gotta get my skates on and get it roadworthy.
The Radio was a very pleasant surprise as were a couple of other things (stool and fly screen).

There's quite a bit of rust compared to yours though, as you'll see in my next post!
But it's basically a very complete campmobile and so I'm really pleased with it :D

Standby! Rust n bondo in the house :lol: picture heavy!
Nothing I was unaware of though, thanks to Paul the PO.
WestyHome172.jpg

WestyHome150.jpg

WestyHome179.jpg

WestyHome188.jpg

WestyHome189.jpg

WestyHome209.jpg

WestyHome211.jpg

WestyHome214-1.jpg

WestyHome203.jpg

WestyHome191-1.jpg

WestyHome195.jpg

WestyHome205.jpg

WestyHome202.jpg

WestyHome201.jpg

WestyHome200.jpg

The front wheel arches will be fun :roll:
Gonna pressure wash the underside to get all the silt off. Mostly surface rust as far as I can tell.
More to follow tomorrow :)

Wow, that is a lot of rust. :( I lucked out on mine. I have the minor rust in the windshield area and some minor rust here and there but it is basically pretty solid.

Are you going to tackle the rust yourself? I'm and my hubby are not the greatest at that type of work. I'm glad mine doesn't need much. We will be using MarGlass for the windshield area repair. I know it's not the best solution but it is what he is better at working with. :D

Keep the pics coming!! :D

OH and yah, what a score having the stool. I just paid over 100 bucks for mine. OUCH!! Had to have it though and it was local so I just went and picked it up. :D

justcruzin said:
Wow, that is a lot of rust. :( I lucked out on mine. I have the minor rust in the windshield area and some minor rust here and there but it is basically pretty solid.

Are you going to tackle the rust yourself? I'm and my hubby are not the greatest at that type of work. I'm glad mine doesn't need much. We will be using MarGlass for the windshield area repair. I know it's not the best solution but it is what he is better at working with. :D

OH and yah, what a score having the stool. I just paid over 100 bucks for mine. OUCH!! Had to have it though and it was local so I just went and picked it up. :D

It's not as bad as my first bus, but there's plenty to keep me busy for the next few weeks .
All the rust will be replaced with fresh steel by Muggins here. I have a small mig which does a nice job for me.
Pics to follow of the interior stripdown later today :)

Barkafer said:
justcruzin said:

It's not as bad as my first bus, but there's plenty to keep me busy for the next few weeks .
All the rust will be replaced with fresh steel by Muggins here. I have a small mig which does a nice job for me.
Pics to follow of the interior stripdown later today :)

I sure do envy you guy's that can work with metal like that! I love watching the transformations, so do post pics as you go!! :D

crede999 said:
looks a good bus ;) you must be chuffed ...........roll on summer 8)

chris

It's got it's issues Chris as you can see from the latest bunch of photo's, but it's very fixable and fairly complete too, so I'm really looking forward to getting it finished :D

More pics comin up of the interior strip down.

Now then, I removed the interior today (it was a bit parky on Saturday) and was pleasantly surprised by what I found :)
WestyInteriorteardown022.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown018.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown019.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown021.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown020.jpg

Pretty rust free for an Eastern Bus
WestyInteriorteardown023.jpg

Meeces been makin a home in the insulation! I found the culprit in the water tank :roll:
WestyInteriorteardown024.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown025.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown030.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown026.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown031.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown033.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown036.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown034.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown035.jpg

WestyInteriorteardown037.jpg

Only rusted through in small areas in the corners and part of the B pillars. :)

Latest posts