72 Bay with oval rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Marvel, certainly no asterix on this one and the panel is raised, spoke to the seller last night and he is doing some investigation to get to the bottom of it.

jamesabell1978 said:
Thanks Marvel, certainly no asterix on this one and the panel is raised, spoke to the seller last night and he is doing some investigation to get to the bottom of it.

atleast he is willing to help mate :D
hopefully its not him ..either way good luck with it all

If no ball with the seller then report him to the old bill I'm afraid , as its obvious its a ringer .
Things like this are a shame and not good for the scene . If you don't sort it now then your stuffed if you ever try to sell it !!

i bought my first early bay, with no knowledge of them. I could have quite easily bought a bus with missing vin plates / chassis numbers. If you end up losing money, we could have a earlybay charity event, camp (get drunk), bbq, have fun and get you some money back

Just a thought. Not really sure how it all works over here but can't you contact the DVLA with the chassis/VIN number and see the vehicles history from the date of 1st reg????

jamesabell1978 said:

Have a dig around the panel. Is it just a welded patch??

What is underneath, another number perhaps??

Feel for you fella

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

thanks all, one thing that gives me faith is all the knowledge and support I have got from you. I hope the seller is genuine and will sort this out but decided if nothing by friday will have to get the police involved. you can get a list of previous owners from dvla yourself for cars after the move of the dvla to swansea and I know my father did similar for a non vw classic. As the bus is so clean and un molested apart from the vin I think it is a previous owner who took a bit more than the untouched devon interior before he sold it on, no doubt a history of a few owners, m plates and paperwork was attractive, who knows, but such a shame that an otherwise genuine bus has been violated and is now worthless. a long loan to pay off and very upsetting.

Chin up mate. Don't let a few numbers and plates stand in the way of enjoying your bus. :D

jamesabell1978 said:
I know the chap who sold it to me is a vw trader in the scene and stated he has known the bus for a long time and I believe him to be genuine.

What has he said? As a trader he should give you a full refund :shock:

Don't let him plead ignorance followed by poverty

Maybe name and shame if he messes you about to prevent anyone else getting conned

Sorry to hear you have had such a nasty introduction to bus ownership, fingers crossed you get a positive resolution.

aspro said:
Chin up mate. Don't let a few numbers and plates stand in the way of enjoying your bus. :D

Might be someone else's bus though mate wearing a new vin no :shock:

aspro said:

Sorry have to disagree with this , buying a possibly stolen / dodgy bus and turning a bling eye is not the done thing really

lhu128l said:
aspro said:

Sorry have to disagree with this , buying a possibly stolen / dodgy bus and turning a bling eye is not the done thing really

It's all speculation at the moment. Agree if it is stolen then it should get sorted and the folks responsible brought to justice. Definitely see your point but can't see much resulting from the investigation. I would think the scammers have hidden their tracks well. That's why I say just enjoy it.

If the guy is a "bona-fide" trader in classic VW's he should have picked up on the discrepancies pretty quickly, something smells here... Hope you get it all sorted out and get to enjoy your bus.

All, i think the picture below says everything, I have spoken to the seller (previous owner), who has spoken his friend (the previous owner before this) and neither of them know anything about it. My concern is that you can see the original orange paintwork under the patch I have sanded in front of the plate yet on the false vin you see no orange or primer underneath just yellow on top and lots of filler. It would appear to me to have been done in the recent respray prior to me buying it.

So I am now off to the police station to report this, I hope there is the correct vin under this mess so hopefully the police will do that as part of the investigation.

Thanks for all your support and I will post any progress made.

DSCF1485_zpse4c5926e.jpg

:( doesn't look good, must be gutting for you. I hope you get it all sorted and don't end up out of pocket.

:evil: sorry but no excuse for someone doing that! Wankers! Good luck with everything and I really hope you get to the bottom of it all! Keep us informed dude

jamesabell1978 said:
All, i think the picture below says everything, I have spoken to the seller (previous owner), who has spoken his friend (the previous owner before this) and neither of them know anything about it. My concern is that you can see the original orange paintwork under the patch I have sanded in front of the plate yet on the false vin you see no orange or primer underneath just yellow on top and lots of filler. It would appear to me to have been done in the recent respray prior to me buying it.

So I am now off to the police station to report this, I hope there is the correct vin under this mess so hopefully the police will do that as part of the investigation.

Thanks for all your support and I will post any progress made.

DSCF1485_zpse4c5926e.jpg

I agree with you 100% - the paint (brush painted in there) says it all. In addition the sharply defined edge and sharp corners close to the chassis number suggests its a stamped piece of metal stuck on top of the original location.

Theres a good chance the original chassis number is underneath.

Incidentally, even if the original number has been ground off there is a forensic technique using acid to reveal the original number through highlighting the compressed metal under each stamping.

The original chassis number for your bus should be between 211 2000 001 and 211 2300 000

hopefully it all works out in a positive way for you dude

after talking to the police... would you not do some more digging under the plated area to see whats underneath?

also what does it look like behind the front seat were the M-plate should be? is it just holes were its been drilled out or it it all smooth if you pull out the front seat, there should be a plate with numbers on...
I know you say its not there but just wondering what the area looks like.

keep us all up to date dude.

dave

When you "spoke" to the seller did you ask for a refund? Is he a Classic Car dealer?

Hope you get to the bottom of this

Latest posts