72 Bay with oval rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wank wank wank wank. What a load of shit. Lazy coonts have placed your file in a big box down in their basement, never to be seen again.

I suggest we all spend the week calling the info line. They'll soon get off their asses. ;)

Nice letter James,,,,,,,,,,, Now spend the rest of the summer (has it started yet ??) enjoying your van 8) Big , big marks to you for trying your absolute best to clarify this situation if even to your detriment and sanity. And !!! it looks like it wasn`t that easy to get anywhere with it. So at least you now know it`s your van :mrgreen: So I would imagine that is a relief :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Go out and enjoy :mrgreen:

Yes, huge relief and work has started now on the interior refurb :mrgreen:

Thanks all for your advice and support.

Hope to catch up with you all in person once the yellow "daffy dub" as it is now known is registered and back on the road.

Many thanks for your updates on the situation.

I do admire your efforts at getting to the bottom of this issue and its good news that you are now in the clear and the vehicle is officially yours.

I guess we will never know for sure why the chassis number was changed to a later one. Normally its the other way round, where unscrupulous owners want to get the vehicle tax exempt.

Your experiences seem to me to show that some parts of the police force are governed more by statistics and gathering funds for the government, through fines, than in genuine investigation. It is after all not an old banger and is worth quite a lot of money, yet they ignore it as though its of no consequence.

IMO the unfortunate side effect of the police attitude here is that it reinforces thieves perception that they can operate much more safely (almost with impunity) in this part of the market, compared to stealing new cars from rich people. It certainly goes a long way to explaining the often asked question "where do these vehicles go?".

Anyway - thats all in the past now and I'm very much looking forward to seeing some updates from you about the improvements you make to your new bus and how you are enjoying using it :)

jamesabell1978 said:
Hello all, after many years owning a beetle I have finally got the Bay I have always wanted although I am looking for advice on the peculiarities of this bus.

So it was manufactured in May 1972 according to v5 and is about right for the vin number. It was a Devon conversion though the interior is sadly gone and has low front indicators, oval rear
flashlights, flared rear wheel arches and curved air intakes.

I would expect that a 72 has long rear lights and square ducts, I did read somewhere that a few early 72s retained the rear lights but can’t remember the reference and wondered if anyone has come across this combination before?
Congrats for having that bus :) It's really a nice bus with rear lights and amazing speed !

KhetMaiya said:
jamesabell1978 said:
Hello all, after many years owning a beetle I have finally got the Bay I have always wanted although I am looking for advice on the peculiarities of this bus.

So it was manufactured in May 1972 according to v5 and is about right for the vin number. It was a Devon conversion though the interior is sadly gone and has low front indicators, oval rear lights, flared rear wheel arches and curved air intakes.

I would expect that a 72 has long rear lights and square ducts, I did read somewhere that a few early 72s retained the rear lights but can’t remember the reference and wondered if anyone has come across this combination before?
Congrats for having that bus :) It's really a nice bus with rear lights and amazing speed !

Hmmmmmmm do you know something about the bus?

It makes me really :x that they don't try harder than this, some good friends, (a young family that worked really hard to have their bus) had theirs stolen a few weeks ago and they have no hope of finding it because the police just don't care. I can't help thinking about the people that may have lost this bus and are forever wondering what happened to it :(

Right well this kept nagging at me for some time and now as part of cleaning up the engine bay for a new 1776 I thought I would have one last go.

After a bit of time with a die grinder I was getting nowhere so cut out the "plate" that was there, looks to have been made by building up weld. Well gave it my best shot and I don't think I will ever get to the bottom of it. I have been to the Police, the UK fraud centre and others. At least the bus is confirmed as mine.

So for the record. I bought the bus from a chap called Tristan Tack located near Huntingdon, he used to be the owner of the Beetle Barn in St Ives.

some buses like mine are not on the correct yr reg plate as they were imported in the 80s when they were given a plate for the yr imported mine is a 71 but is on a w reg 1980 not all are fudged for tax free status

at least it's yours now, i'd be keeping all letters etc to save if you ever sell to make the next owner aware it's noe "legit" good luck in getting what should be a J reg on it i guess.

Latest posts