72 Danbury Crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
Originally posted in the 'seen on ebay section' but realised it should have been posted here.

Its my new toy for getting in to the scene, a 1972 Danbury Tin Top crossover.

None of the interior is left in it apart form a big cushion on top of the engine bay (Only know its a Danbury as it has the badge on the back).

It only has a full width rock'n'roll (bolted in on one side only) The bulkhead behind the passenger seat is missing, other than that it all looks ok. Had it on the ramp and looks to be fairly good. SORN at the moment but hoping to get sorted over the winter to start getting to the shows next year

MyType2front.jpg

MyType2side.jpg

MyType2back.jpg

Not sure why??

I posted it on my work laptop and have just checked on my home laptop and can see images on both. Wonder if it matters where they are hosted, as they are on the Volkstorque My Garage feature. :(

Right i've just signed up to photo bucket and hopefully this will now work :oops:

MyType2front.jpg

MyType2side.jpg

MyType2back.jpg

Can someone please let me know if it has worked.

Cleared my cache and i too can no longer see the images from my 1st post :(

Nugsy said:
MyType2side.jpg

Can someone please let me know if it has worked.

Cleared my cache and i too can no longer see the images from my 1st post :(

Yep - can see your pics now - nice looking van 8)

In the middle pic, at first glance, I thought you had flat tyres........... :shock:

Just been looking at your web site about your van.

I am taking mine over to my mates to get it on the ramps begining of November and mine too has the full undertrays. I have taken the inside out and it doesnt look to bad (rusting in each corner basically)

Just hoping it looks as good from underneath :| as i have a week to get all the welding done for the MOT

The last thing i welded was a toolbox on my YTS 23 years ago :roll:

Fingers crossed for you when the belly pans come off ;)

One week to get it all done - do you know what does need to be done (once the belly pans off, it will either be a can of worms :( or a massive sigh of relief :D ) :?:

I am hopiing for the best when the pans come off, ive had a quick look and it will need arches and a few ptaches here and there. Also looks like it will need a complete lower (very bottom front panel) Took the glove box out and all looks ok under the screen :)

In response to froggy on my original post. Thanks for the info on the engine, being new to air colled flat fours i'm still doing a bit of reading :) If anyone else has any pointers on what i have in my boot let me know :)

MyType2engine.jpg

Well i had it up on the ramps and had a good look round. I also had a chat with my mate as he is an MOT garage and his advice was patch it and use it but if your keeping it do it properly and take your time after all we wont be camping in the winter

I spent 3 days with a crow bar, scraper and angle grinder going round the bottom 12 inches and it doesnt look like it did any more :) Also stripped the rear interior, removed panels and found they were original with some marble vinyl stuck over the top (and i mean stuck).

Also had a good root around the cab, and happily all the wiring looks original apart from the stereo, so i sorted that out. Front panel looks all original with polystyrene glued to it (looks factory) and no damage apart from the bottom.

Also been over to Status and put and order in for most the panels, and everyone was right about the guy who runs it Barclay. He advised me well on what to and what not to buy and gave me good dicount too, so will no doubt be back there for any thing else i need as time goes by.

Will try and get some pics posted to show what ie done so far :cry:

Its been good to get my hands dirty for the 1st time in years (office worker :oops: ) and so far not daunted at all

Latest posts