72 Sierrayellow Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys!

In the last few days I made some good progress on the bus. So here we go...

The gearbox and driveshafts are back in.
PB213277_zpsmfoomzlj.jpg

PC223293_zpsocgq2luc.jpg

PC213270_zpsacqv1a2v.jpg

Then I've mounted the Eberspächer heater. I did a mistake with the cable for the control flap. I put the cabel in the tube for the vacuumline for the brake booster. :oops: This will be redone one more time...
PC223294_zpshshms0a2.jpg

To the front of the bus. Front beam is also back in. With the help from my dad this was an easy job. :)
PC223276_zpspsurh54u.jpg

PC223289_zpsymvl2oug.jpg

PC223277_zpsowzrttjp.jpg

The clamps for the stabilizer which I bought, aren't galvanized. So I couldn't mount them! ;)

The Braking force regulator is also in place.
PC223281_zpsqtsgwtix.jpg

To the interior. I made some special holders for the gauges of rpm-, oil-pressure and oil-temperature.
My special coconut rpm gauge! :lol:
PC293284_zpsgan33kv4.jpg

PC293290_zpsqdjyjnx5.jpg

And the holder for oil pressure and oil temperature.
PC293267_zps61jveqjk.jpg

In position...
PC293269_zpshwzrb4cx.jpg

PC293273_zpssuv60t9i.jpg

PC293278_zpshmypnh1t.jpg

Now sandblasting and powder coating and they're done!

In the back of the bus there is the place for the spare wheel on the left side. But I don't want the spare wheel on this place. So what should I do with this free space? I will made a small mattress like some of you already did. I thought alot about the space in the spare wheel well. One night I had an idea. I will make a treasure for money, credit card and more. Here we go...
PC293298_zpsqlcn3atg.jpg

And after some welding it's done.
PC293305_zpshuo6i2ve.jpg

PC293306_zpswqc9eokt.jpg

PC293309_zpsjbnmefll.jpg

PC293310_zpskgu5d5m1.jpg

One more thing to do is the installation of the vintage autohaus dropped spindles. I have to say that they're really well made! Top work! But one thing could be better. ;) There aren't any brake dust shields for them. So we laser cutted some brake dust shields out of 2mm steel for the vintage autohaus dropped spindles. For the clearance between brake disc and shield we have to slightly modified the spindles. Will be done in the next few weeks.
PC293292_zpszyacxajb.jpg

PC293294_zpsishcbhiy.jpg

PC293312_zpsremgib9p.jpg

Wish you all a happy new year!
Best regards
Reto

Thanks everybody! For the summer we have booked a four week trip to norway, sweden, denmark and germany. So there is no time to lose! :)
Are there any information about scandinavia we have to know (or places we have to visit) which you can tell me? Especially from the scandinavian guys in this forum or anybody else which made a trip in this beautiful part of europe!
Thanks and cheers
Reto

I have read true your topic many times, because I have on going same colour westy project. You are making nice detailing jobs, I like a lot! I will copy some ideas from you, if you don't mind... ;)

You were asking some tips for nordic countries :
I'm from Finland and there is big aircooled vw-meeting, organiced by FVWA ( The Finnish Volkswagen Association's ). It called Bug in Finn and it is in village called Ruovesi 29-31.7.2016.
Last year I was there and it was nice meeting!

Keep working and I wait final result and I hope I will see your westy finally at Château-d'Oex 2017 :) ( I was there also 2011 and 2013 )

snowman said:
I have read true your topic many times, because I have on going same colour westy project. You are making nice detailing jobs, I like a lot! I will copy some ideas from you, if you don't mind... ;)

You were asking some tips for nordic countries :
I'm from Finland and there is big aircooled vw-meeting, organiced by FVWA ( The Finnish Volkswagen Association's ). It called Bug in Finn and it is in village called Ruovesi 29-31.7.2016.
Last year I was there and it was nice meeting!

Keep working and I wait final result and I hope I will see your westy finally at Château-d'Oex 2017 :) ( I was there also 2011 and 2013 )

Thanks a lot! :) That's no problem! Cool that I had some inspiration for you! ;) Thanks also for the information about the meeting in Finland! Sounds very cool!

If you will come to Château-d'Oex in 2017, come over to me and we will have some beers together! :D
Best regards
Reto

Dave.P said:
Love your work, keep it coming Reto !
The cans are a nice touch !
Thanks! The gauges in the cans shoult be something different. :) The wiring from the gauges will be the next job for me.

P1313277_zps60yjc5ws.jpg

P1313278_zpsg5goqvf4.jpg

Have a nice sunday!
Reto

Small update...
Engine is back in! :D :D Also the wiring in the engine bay is all done!
P1313279_zps2ilambvb.jpg

P1313280_zpsrq8qgvcy.jpg

Next job will be the wiring from the gauges and then I will check the functionality from the electrical stuff. I will post some more detail pics from the electrical updates which I've done! ;)

Best regards
Reto

Lee C said:
Looks better than new!!!!! 8)
Well done!!!
I want my engine bay to look like this one day!!!!!

Thanks Lee! I think you will make it as good as I did or even better! :)
Looking forward to see more updates from your new project!
Cheers
Reto

Just read through your full post - amazing restoration!! Your attention to detail is second to none! And that paint job... Oof! Eagerly awaiting further updates... :popcorn:

Thanks for the kind words! I try to do as much as possible by my self. This is my first bus restoration and I can tell you I did a lot of mistakes! Even it doesn't look like that on the pics... :lol: But most time we all have fun with our buses and every time we work on them we learn something new. And finally they're coming better and better! So never give up and go for early bays! ;)

Have a nice evening!
Reto

Myvanway said:
Great to see new ideas. Its going to look wicked when finished. 8)

Hope to see Your bus this year...... in europe maybe!? 8)

Thanks! :) I will be at the volksworld-show this year but without bus... Are you also there? Hopefully the bus will be finished at the beginning of summer! So we can go to some shows like spa or bitburg!
Cheers
Reto

Latest posts