A factory choice/option? What do you know?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magiceddie88

Reaction score
So I'm treating my doors to a make over took off the old door panel on the drivers side, thought long and hard on insulation then saw that my drivers door didn't have anything there and figured well if its been good the last 40 years...

CDBF6696-2119-4C06-81C5-EE7A93B914D2-8518-0000068C708104A9_zps138c81f1.jpg

Might be alright to keep going that way. So anyways I POR-15'd my door where water collects in the channel, and made a vapor barrier from the original one I took out.

4F62AB8E-B229-4AC2-8EF2-0174E8B5416D-8518-0000068C9B2E7B54_zps27c1ea03.jpg

...stuck on the door card, well a month later I get around to redoing my passenger side. Tore into the door to find insulation! Glued good into the door with some lower wet/rot included!

0860F52A-93F6-4C61-B694-3BEAC1F8D9F8-8518-0000068F717D6DF0_zps6901f660.jpg

My driver side had absolutely no sign of insulation...my passengers side after removing all but one patch was apparent it had insulation by the glue spots stained and stuck to the door.

So what have you experienced? Did yours have anything? Was there insulation like pictured?

Long story short I talked with the old VW mechanic in town... And hesaid it was regional/dealer option to install the extra insulation? What do you think? What do you know?

To wrap this up I got some r-rated insulation (doubled it up) and cut to fit, after POR-15 applied to the lower portion of the door I installed the insulation.

D056B22F-2196-40C8-AD7E-B1140E0AE265-8518-0000069250AAA5B0_zps5a160cbf.jpg

Vapor barrier next and new door panel.

Let me know what you think/ know about the insulation on doors.

-Eddie

Hi there Magiceddie88, I should think that if you had one insulated then originally both would have been insulated and most likely the sliding door and possibly the tailgate would have panels of insulation too. If there is no sign of it elsewhere then I`d assume that the door came from another bus at some point. You can never be 100% sure though as a bus could be half way through the dealership `extras' process and an impatient customer wanted it like now!!!! Or a zillion other scenarios. Would I insulate these myself ??? I think I will when I get a real nice pair of doors for mine (still looking), in the cab I think it`s a bit more about road noise than actual thermal insulation but I`lll do mine anyway for both reasons as well as the slightly more solid sound you get when you clunk the door shut, it just sounds more solid. Some car manufacturers nowdays actually use sound deadening strips and sheets on the back of panels to make the more exclusive versions sound / seem more luxurious over their base models with just a `lack of tinniness' :shock: :shock: :shock: Some one hooked us up to a link on this a few weeks back about an ice installer giving you the lowdown on it. But your bus is looking as good as it always does and looks a worthwhile mod for others . :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Nice :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Latest posts