A few snapshots from Buses by the Bridge 27. “The bridge” refers to the London Bridge which, for some reason, is here in Arizona. About 600 buses.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1967, the City of London was looking for someone to buy a dismantled London Bridge. American entrepreneur Robert Paxton McCulloch placed the winning bid of £1.02 million ($2.4 million at the time) on 18 April 1968. Each of the bridge’s 10,276 exterior granite blocks were numbered and then shipped to Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

The construction started on 23 September 1968 and the foundation stone was laid by the Sir Gilbert Inglefield, then the Lord Mayor of London. The work was completed three years later and Lake Havasu City’s London Bridge opened on 10 October 1971 with a parade of marching bands, fireworks, hot air balloons and skydivers.

Contrary to the popular rumour, McCulloch was not under the impression that he was purchasing Tower Bridge. The urban legend was vehemently denied by the tycoon and by Ivan Luckin, of the City’s Common Council, who arranged the sale.

Well I guess he would wouldn't he?

The unusual license plate pictured below is from the State of Nuevo León in Mexico. That jovial group drove over 2000 kilometers just to attend the event. Being so close to the border of Mexico, vehicles with Mexican plates are not all that unusual, but Nuevo León plates are quite a rarity.IMG_4569.jpeg

Last edited:
Contrary to the popular rumour, McCulloch was not under the impression that he was purchasing Tower Bridge. The urban legend was vehemently denied by the tycoon and by Ivan Luckin, of the City’s Common Council, who arranged the sale.

Well I guess he would wouldn't he?
Yes, that's an old rumor. I talked to one of the engineers who designed the modern structure that the original stonework covered, and he confirmed that they were given detailed specifications of the bridge so that McCulloch could make a proper bid on it. Mr. McCulloch examined those plans personally, so he was clued in from the beginning.

BTW, I wrote an article on the history of the London Bridge some years ago. It was mostly concerned with the medieval bridge, but made some reference to the one in Arizona, which I have personally visited a half a dozen times. The first time, I drove over it without even knowing that I was on it until I was half-way over it.

Here's the URL, for anybody who's interested:

http://dragonwing.biz/col9802.htm
Research subsequent to the article's publication has revealed what archeologists are pretty sure are the remnants of the foundation of the Roman bridge on the northern side of the Thames.

The unusual license plate pictured below is from the State of Nuevo León in Mexico. That jovial group drove over 2000 kilometers just to attend the event. Being so close to the border of Mexico, vehicles with Mexican plates are not all that unusual, but Nuevo Leónplates are quite a rarity.

View attachment 7346

Would I be right in thinking that Nuevo León in Spanish translates as New Lion in English, which seems a strange name to give a state, province or county, unless it's named after local wildlife such as a cougar or mountain lion?

The rear licence plate appears to be in much better condition than the vehicle to which it is affixed. I wonder whether the front licence plate is in similarly good condition!?!

Last edited:
Nice pics, but where is the bridge ?

Great pics looks a top event.

I'm thinking nostalgically now about the UK events where there would be that many air cooled buses attending ..... :(

If it ever rains in the UK (doubtful), catch a flight to the western USA where it will be warm and sunny. (R/T flights into Los Angeles are currently running at about £400) then rent a car (or Campervan) and come to a VW event/show/campout! There’s a few good ones coming up this spring.

Latest posts