A photo of your nuts.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know when every little thing goes wrong and there’s nothing but stuff breaking and adding up. I took my back bumper off a week or so back while I was fiddling about and deleaparding my van. Well the bumper came off easy because it’s was held on by a small miracle and some large penny repair style washers and the plan was to take a section off another bumper to make it good and weld a little section in, we’ll it worked well but I didn’t do it, Ted did it down at C.J. Motors in Bristol. Anyway while Ted was doing a superb job on my bumper I had to take the irons off but only three of the bolts were playing nicely, one had his captive nut refuse to let go so I had to drill it out :eek: Not only did I have to drill it out, I had to start the drill on a rakish angle:eek: Not only did I have to drill it out on a rakish angle but I couldn’t get under the drill to put any pressure on it:eek: Not only was it a rakish angle with no pressure on the drill but I couldn’t actually see what I was doing:eek: All of the things and I had to start the drilling off centre and lock the bolt head with a set of mole grips. Just for good measure I could only get one hand on the drills trigger and needed to get some leverage with my foot :ROFLMAO:IMG_3651.jpegIMG_3646.jpegOzziedog,,,,,,,so how did it go then ?:unsure:

Been there and had to do that on my bus Oz, some tit had used hardened bolts. I can still remember the hot swarf burning me laid under side, twas not a nice job.

The whole thing was destined to go wrong as it does usually when you’re messing with rusted out old stuff and it was just going from one issue type thing to another to another and at one point I started to think about looking at a new bumper iron from JK. But this time , the one in a million pot shot came good :cool: I got really excited when I saw how centred it had ended up, more so than actually getting it off :rolleyes: I guess that makes me a bit twisted. DAV!!! We all keep forgetting that a decade or two back, these things were worth two to five hundred quid, and anything that came to hand was more than good enough if it kept it on the road without spending on it and just using anything that was already ‘In Stock’ . By rights, there should nt be any of these left especially working panels and pick ups and crewies, maybe just a few campers that didn’t get used too much. Anyway, what’s a bit of hot swarf in the grand scheme of things:ROFLMAO:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I like the original post too with all the regular sizes on :cool:

Nice one 👍. I have a very similar nut situation on the front bumper step mount. It's rounded off and I've got no idea how to get it out. I'm thinking that drilling is going to be the only option 😭

Pop down if you get stuck and need a hand drilling it out. I’m full of it now especially after the last result.

Ozziedog',,,,,,,,,,, I’m South Gloc, Bristol .

I had a similar nut problem:oops: where the bumper was loose, fortunately Abel has repaired the problem whilst he had the bus.

J & P
:D:D:D

Latest posts