Adj spring plate fitting angle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat duk

Reaction score
Hi, I've just fitted my near side Thaus adj spring plate no problem and the angle matched the original spring plate perfect but the offside is a bit different! I can't get the angles to match between the old and the new!!!

I'm measuring the angle on the splined part of the adjustable spring plates and not the adjustable part, has anyone had to use a combination of inner and outer splines to achieve the same starting point angle as the stock plate.

Just to give you an example I need a angle of 21' and on my outer splines I can only get 24'or17' (these angles are not exact only for illustration purposes)
I can only assume that the new spring plate was manufactured slightly out, I am aware that I can achieve the angle I need by adjusting the screw but this will not match the nearside.

i dont want to end up miles away from my stock position to get the right angle and end up with the suspension way out on one side, any help or ideas would be great thanks

The inner and outer splines of the torsion arm are pitches different, if you rotate the torsion bar on the inner will it allow you to reach the desired angle ?
Apologies if you already knew this.

Sam

Thanks for your reply sam i am aware that i can get the correct angle by moving on the inner and outer splines im just confused as to what has changed on the offside, and if i correct the angle is it going to throw the height of that side way off

Is it possible that the suspension has been adjusted on the rear previously ? Or was the bus sat level to start with before you started this little job ? Bearing in mind these busses have been about for over forty years, it may be possible that some adjustment or modification was done before you had it for any number of reasons.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Just thinking out loud ish :mrgreen:

ozziedog i dont think it has been touched before but im not really gonna know, i think i will have to play about with different spline combinations to achieve the correct starting pre-load angle, i think the important setting is the angle on the new adjustable springplates that have differed slightly from the stock plate,i will also take some measurements from the nearside that i have fitted and sits nice!

trial and error needed on this one i think

Latest posts