Advice on installing oil pressure and temp gauges

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPBerry2011

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new VDO Series 1 oil pressure gauge and plan on purchasing an oil temp gauge and was wondering what else I should purchase in addition to the gauges. I have no senders at the moment and found it pretty confusing when I looked. Do I need senders for both gauges (if so how do I match it to the gauge I have?) and do I need any other bits for installation other than wire and a 'mount'?

Merry Christmas.

Chris.

Yeah, pretty much as you say and you do need to match the senders go the gauges, you would normally buy them as a complete set.

The temperature sender will either be a dipstick, sump mounted or screw in type and that's all you'll need for that.

For the pressure it all depends. This screws into the pressure dummy light switch and can either have dual outputs meaning that you retain the light or you can add a t-piece allowing both senders to be used.

If you have no luck try EARLY VW on this forum he will help I am sure.
Got both of mine from him.

J & P
:D :D :D

I bought off eBay and oil pressure gauge comes with the sender. I bought three between £11-16 each (oil pressure, oil yep amd voltage) all work and look great

Here's the eBay item number

Be careful with the dual sender for oil pressure gauge and light. The oil light trigger pressure on these units is nearly always higher than the standard item (requires more pressure) and hence your oil light will come on more, eg a hot engine at tickover. I ended up fitting a t-piece and the original switch to get around this. This is a widely reported problem.

Got mine from the states as it was alot cheaper can't remember who from. Think its a VDO 360-006 But there are different pressures for the oil light connection

Thanks for all the input guys. Decided on a temp, pressure and voltage gauge in the end and have ordered the tbar so i can put that system in place if needs be.

Be very careful with the T-piece. Actually, just be careful screwing anything in to that part of the case, as it is a weak point.

Screwing anything in there too far or too tightly can crack your case. Sadly I found this out the hard way!

Latest posts