• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Advice wanted: Landrover Freelander

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

Considering one of these to replace the little (temporary!!!) VW Polo I have while my bus isn't roadworthy.

Been looking at year 2000, 5dr 'estate' models (1.8 petrol) and it seems like you get a lot of car for your money - but are these landy's good buys, or should I wave goodbye to them?

Thank you,

Mike

Don't do it, the 1.8 petrol is sluggish in a freelander and is the one where the head gasket goes on a regular basis, its the engine out of the 400/600 and was never designed to work in a 4 x 4 and it puts too much load on the engine.

How do I know this?, I had a 2002 MY one when I worked at Jaguar Land Rover for a short period, not a good car!!

Graham L said:
Don't do it, the 1.8 petrol is sluggish in a freelander and is the one where the head gasket goes on a regular basis, its the engine out of the 400/600 and was never designed to work in a 4 x 4 and it puts too much load on the engine.

How do I know this?, I had a 2002 MY one when I worked at Jaguar Land Rover for a short period, not a good car!!

I 2nd that!!!! I had an S plate petrol with 60k genuine miles on the clock FSH ect ect a mystery bolt stopped the waterpump from spinning which in turn shreaded the timing belt which in turn bent all the valves.........the RAC warrenty wouldnt pay out, shame cause other than the engine i did like it. Cost over £2k all told, then sold it on.....

Just

3rd that. I had a 98 1800 one, looked nice but a load of hassle, head gasket went, was thirsty on petrol, the front to rear diff used to bind up when reversing.

Had it a week and sold it on quick :msn4:

Funnily enough the owner of the Freelander which caught my eye (1.8 petrol) told me they had problems last year with it using loads of water, so they took it to an ex-Landrover mechanic and had the water pump, head gasket (multi-layer?), rad hoses, and timing belt done. Apparrently it's ran like a dream since. They want gbp2100 for it (GS model, 2000(w), full years mot, 6mthx tax)

Besides.... Autoexpress reckon the Td4 is the one to go for...

Think I'll just wait for my bus to be done :)

yup i concur they are a POS. i had the pleasure of driving one for 6 months through work. It was thirsty and took corners like a pocket sprung four poster bed.

My sister had a 1.8 petrol one. The clutch was very fragile, then broke and the head gasket went on what was a relatively low milage one. Window electrics were an issue too..

If you really really want one, look for the diesel version, but if you want a lot of car for your money, it would be good to look at Ford Mondeos. If you really want a Land Rover, try Discoverys?

m-i-l had a v6 one again a MY2000, cost 30K and was the biggest piece of spam I have borrowed. I was grateful for the loan from her but the car was shocking...the head went and after a £1300 bill it wasn't fixed as the liners had slipped and the bottom end was pressurising!! sunroof hadn;t worked in about 4 yrs and was £1000 to replace, rear door windows go and are also very expensive to repair..........

buy a disco, but check the forums for places where they rust!!

read the above mate basically there crap never had one but heard all the storys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham L said:

I agree with Graham, i've had to do a headgasket on 1 of these on an 02 plate. And as for performance it is TERRIBLE! A freelander is quite a big motor and 1800 just don't cut it tbh, plus the MPG is crap too. Better vehicles for less money about.

Latest posts