Air-cooled mobile mechanic Caerphilly\Cardiff area ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Any recommendations for an air-cooled mobile mechanic for the Caerphilly\ Cardiff area? I have a few issues that I need help with. Have a sick 71 Westy 😞

What’s wrong with the van? I have not heard of anyone mobile that does air cooled around the M4. I will ask around. I work in Cardiff so will keep my ear to the ground for you. What about the chaps from Bristol. The bridge is free now. Anyone know someone

I took the engine out to replace the cylinder head due to a stripped spark plug thread. Put it back and the engine turns a few times before the battery flattens. Suspect electrical or starter motor issue. Cheers for asking.

Gar said:
I took the engine out to replace the cylinder head due to a stripped spark plug thread. Put it back and the engine turns a few times before the battery flattens. Suspect electrical or starter motor issue. Cheers for asking.
You tried Jeff's VW Shack?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue where the engine would turn very slowly. Turned out it was the starter motor, changed the bush at the same time starts like a modern car now. Worth a try

You can clearly wield a set of spanners, so it sounds like you’re most of the way there for being able to fix the problem yourself. You just need a little guidance on things to look at next or ways to test them. I’m not sure if you’re on the early bay Facebook group, but personally, I’d avoid that like the plague. There’s lots of knowledgeable guys on there, but also plenty of chumps who instantly think they can solve your problem and will post up a solution without really taking the time to read what you’ve done, or what others have suggested previously. As such, you then end up with a whole host of ‘issues’ and the good stuff gets lost in amongst a sea of time wasters. Definitely a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. You’ll get a more sensible response from the folks on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... if you’re willing to have a shot, give us some more details of the issue. What is your definition of the battery going flat, is the voltage actually dropping off? Have you tried a different battery and do you get the same thing happening?

A good battery shouldn’t go flat that quickly, so either the battery isn’t putting out enough current, isn’t fully charged or as mentioned already, the starter isn’t getting the current it needs to turn over the engine. The latter can either be that it needs refurbishment, or could be as simple as the connections from it to the battery need a clean-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya, is it driveable?? If it is, then make an appointment in Bristol with Nick at CJ Motors, tell him I sent you. Nick runs two early campers himself plus his works vehicle is a LateBay pick up plus he has several beetles in his household plus a fastback plus,,,,, plus,,,,,, I think you get the idea :mrgreen: Nick is the only chap that’s allowed to touch mine and he has a zillion other air cooled customers with quite a few on here :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, very highly recommended :mrgreen:

Cheers for the advice everyone.
I will check the battery again but had the same issue when jump starting it. It still turns slow. Had not an issue with the starter motor before I took the engine out so will have a look at this again. Pulley wheel moves freely so I assume nothing is jamming the starter motor. Will persevere and plod on. Ozziedog thanks for the advice but I rather save the grief of getting it transported to Bristol when I could be told it was a simple problem and look like an idiot 😀

I don't know if this gentleman is still on this site? I think he is.

Try a chap by the name is,sit on this web site.
His name is Dave and lives in and around Newport, he has a friend who deals in and works on
aircooled motors.

Both really nice and helpful gents.

J & P
:D :D :D

Changed the battery today so noticed a considerable improvement. The engine turns strongly now so the starter motor is no longer suspect. Still not firing though.Checked fuel is getting through which it is ok. Looked at plugs and noticed no spark getting through. Connections from coil ok and I have electronic ignition. Suspect coil is cooked unless I have missed something else.

Changed coil still no spark. Checked connections again. Is there something else I should be checking. Thinking ignition switch or the distributor itself?

Wires on coil the right way around. Sounds stupid but I’ve done it. TWICE. First time blew electronic ignition. Live to wrong side. Second time put a neg on wrong side. Switched it back and fired first time

Latest posts