Air cooled only show

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but them brasilias are far too golf like so let's keep them out. And as for the Gol :shock:

think the trick to an aircooled only show would be to deliberately keep it small not chase profit through numbers.
Bit like OCD for splits or the Hayride for old school hot rodders 8)

Whats needed is a cut of year so anything up to say 82 ?, that way you you can squeeze in the early T25s , personally i just want to see anything old and interesting, custom or stock.
Also i except the fact that some people ( me included ) may not have there vw on the road but would still want to attend so it should be aircooled camping only and a designated area for non aircooled to leave overnight while you tent it perhaps ? oh... eribas too :D

sparkywig said:
Chris73 said:
And remember, you can't polish a turd....

Oh yes you can.....

001-69.jpg

;)

It is a mighty fine turd though. One you're secretly proud of before you flush.... :D

Well for a good few years now me and Rach have been annoyed at how many water cooled vehicles turn up to classic VW shows, we've just only had ourselves to moan at about the whole thing. This thread is the perfect way to express some long nagging feelings.

To me it seems many of the water cooled owners espcially the T4/5 owners are just dipping there toes in, by this i mean not many of them have to hours and hours and hours of time in with body work, rewiring, sourcing parts from all over the world, full on engine rebuilds, working in a garage at 4.00am in the morning to get a bus running knowing full well you have to set off at 6.00am in convoy with your mates ( and the mates are probably in the garage helping you ), pulling up at the roadside when you see another aircooled vehicle in a bit of a tight spot even though you have be somewhere etc, ect.

So when i see a golf, new beetle, T4/5 and other similar vehicles that have pulled up to a show stuck some flowers in the window, put some alloys on straight out of max power and given it a quick polish.........................NO THIS IS NOT A CLASSIC, nor is it anything out the ordinary that you can't see on any road up and down britain daily.

Whats more infuriating is when your at a show and some the lads who drive these get talking to you and they say 'yeah but i wanted something reliable' AAARRRGGGGGHHHHH yes admittedly law of averages probably mean that an old bus will have more problems than a new T4/5 but no where near as often as you would think, and if in the rare event mine has a problem I can normally sort it my self due to the basic technology, how many of the watercooled lot can say that.......not many i bet. To be honest i think that is all part of aircooled fun and just everybody going through the same thing at some point, this is something the watercooled lot just don't get AT ALL. I know you shouldn't judge people but they seem to be a bit chavy if you know what i mean.

For me they will never be part of the scene as they just don't hold the history, heritage or camaraderie that the old aircooled vehicles have and never will in my opinion. I will cotinue not to give them the time of day at shows, so for me PLEASE PLEASE BRING ON THE SMALL AIRCOOLED ONLY SHOWS, I feel certain i can't be the only one who feels this way.

I hope this rant has not upset anyone this is only my personal opinion.

THE LAST PANZER said:
So when i see a golf, new beetle, T4/5 and other similar vehicles that have pulled up to a show stuck some flowers in the window, put some alloys on straight out of max power and given it a quick polish.........................NO THIS IS NOT A CLASSIC, nor is it anything out the ordinary that you can't see on any road up and down britain daily....I know you shouldn't judge people but they seem to be a bit chavy if you know what i mean.

For me they will never be part of the scene as they just don't hold the history, heritage or camaraderie that the old aircooled vehicles have and never will in my opinion.

I hope this rant has not upset anyone this is only my personal opinion.

An opinion many of us seem to share :D But surely we can accomodate the late T25s too (and no, I don't own one!)

I agree with everything that's been said.
I'm new to the scene but have been to a few shows with my family and when 1/2 or sometimes 3/4 of the show are T4/5s and Golfs/Polos I'm like...what's the point.

Also I honestly don't get what people see in them, yes I'm sure some people say that about bays, but you can't argue they have history and you don't see them often. T4/5 you see on a daily basis, why would I want to pay to see more?

So yeah, I'd be very interested in air cooled only.

Also, what is EBI?

VanillaBear said:
Also, what is EBI?

European Bug In, held every 2 years at Chimay in Belgium, they close 2 stretches of Dual Carriageway off, one for the dragstrip, one for the paddock, next one is next year 2013. Not to be missed in my opinion :mrgreen:

Agree with everything you've said there james. I dont, and never will get the whole T4/5 thing. They are nice and i would love to own one (especially a california) but it would a daily driver and a nice one at that but nothing else. i would never ever rock up at a show in one and pass it off as a classic.

Went to Bus Types and 2/3rds of the vehicles there were T25/T4/T5.

Most of the autojumble was black plastic bits on the floor and lexus style light clusters.

The europeans have the right idea. Ninove, EBI and Spa are pretty much air-cooled only and much better for it :)

all you need is someone on the gate cheeking engine bays.
If you have a radiator you can fuck off into normal everyday parking. if you don't you come straight in.
No cut of date needed if its aircooled its in if its not then do one :lol:

sjc said:
If you have a radiator you can fuck off into normal everyday parking. if you don't you come straight in.

Agree :lol:

sjc said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham L said:
VanillaBear said:
Also, what is EBI?

European Bug In, held every 2 years at Chimay in Belgium, they close 2 stretches of Dual Carriageway off, one for the dragstrip, one for the paddock, next one is next year 2013. Not to be missed in my opinion :mrgreen:

Would love something like this here, 8) 8)
Pity it'll never happen with the amount of paperwork needed to wipe your arse in this country :lol: the 'elf and safety police would have a field day :lol:

Great idea.Real vehicles with owners that have worked hard them selfs to keep it alive not gone through the who's who's list of restorers,mag shoot then you see it on Ebay.Or a T5 with big alloys,sub's and LCD TV fresh from your local Halfords.Classic Aircooled in what ever shape :D

T4/5 bit like looking at tranist vans ,but as for water cooled cars I like to see them sometime don't understand them but thats the way of the world ,I once took the back seat out of my 1960 beetle to put more bigger speakers and I'm sure people didnt understand that and now 24 years later I'm not sure myself.so if it boring or sensible I don't want to see it
I must declare a intrest as also have a automatic t25 water cooled :msn4:

The misses can't drive a manual and I like a beer ,I had a look but I think they didn't
made a auto early bay I think it about 74
So late bay or t25 = rock or hard place , T25 has bigger fridge :lol:

We need an air cooled only event -the wife and I are seeing more and more golfs/t4/t5 at shows. Yesterday was lifestyles at Hunstanton in Norfolk. They have a small vw show, some cool vans, but I hate it when some chav rocks up in his golf or even better a bloody polo. Had nothing done on it a part from sticking a dub sticker in the window and a phat exhaust??

I don't mind the odd t4 and t5 - But draw the line at golfs. If I wanted to see them Id go to the nearest car park.

Do it...if you build it....they will come.

By the way, lavenham show, in Suffolk is pre67? Air cool only so that's a nice little event to wonder around. That's next month I think.

Best comment I heard yesterday....

Bloke looking at the crewcab rat van....

"how can anyone admitt to driving, THAT?".... :? Some people just don't get it.

If anyone decides they want to organise something near Leeds I work at Lotherton Hall and should be able to help out with a big field or two. :lol:

We have just had a big change around with the way the estate works and Iv been pushing to try and get some car shows here, we used to have a few but they dropped off when the last reshuffle meant new management wanted to charge an arm and a leg. My boss has so far had good feedback after stealing my idea of letting in anyone in a classic car free or at the much reduced group rate.

so far we have got a load of porsches coming on the 5th August but I want VWs :lol:

Latest posts