Air filters for solex 36-40

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering what people have got on these as i have not got any at the moment. Cant seem to find any info and the late bayers are not coughing up any info either.

Its a dual setup for a type 4 2l engine.

PSG said:
Hi all

Just wondering what people have got on these as i have not got any at the moment. Cant seem to find any info and the late bayers are not coughing up any info either.

Its a dual setup for a type 4 2l engine.

Hi mate

These carbs are a bit of a nightmare tbh, they run the best on the stock set up with all breathers and balance pipe attached.

They can be fitted with bike style cone filters with balance pipe in place (as this runs off the manifolds) I assume you have the correct stubby manifolds ?

Have you got the correct spacer for between the manifold and carb? This stops heat soak and boiling your fuel which is an issue due to the short length of the manifolds.

They will give you good power and are good when they are well set up, they don't have the issues of the 32-34 pdsits as they don't have the idle circuit, balance them using a snail meter or similar and then set them up as you would a stock pict carb, ie set idle speed then mixture and then readjust idle if required.

Matt

f7f4ea1d921c116475d6a6ad6368cb76.jpg

4592c0beddf7a77a4dc632e7eae44875.jpg

This is the manifold and spacers. It was a dismantled running engine from a front end smash so I am sure it is all pretty much as before nobody has tinkered.

PSG said:

This is the manifold and spacers. It was a dismantled running engine from a front end smash so I am sure it is all pretty much as before nobody has tinkered.

Right, first things they are the wrong way around, the linkage is at the front of the engine, you have it facing the gearbox :lol:

Swap them around and while you are there gap the throttle butterfly to .006 using a feeler guage, once thats done fit them back on so the bowl is at the gearbox side of the engine.
You see the pipe coming off the manifold? there should be one on the other side too, link them together with a pipe and t off if you have a servo for the vacuum.
Then once all that is done, you know they are roughly balanced due to the butterfly measurements you can then tune them for idle and mixture which can be done using the small pointy screw and the larger plastic ended knurled screw.

Yeah I was unsure of their orientation, I Google imaged it. Lol.

PSG said:
Yeah I was unsure of their orientation, I Google imaged it. Lol.

This is probably the best image I have right now of the correct set up, but I have already shown you this on TLB.

I have some more from other angles which I will see if I can find to help you work out how these all go together

079804d2b9cda672ca9463da4e053063.jpg

Stock is best if you can find one but if not (or too high a cost):

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC1299004/airfilter-pod-style-2-5-8-use-for-kadron-type4-solex-carb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

mattyd72 said:
PSG said:

Right, first things they are the wrong way around, the linkage is at the front of the engine, you have it facing the gearbox :lol:

Swap them around and while you are there gap the throttle butterfly to .006 using a feeler guage, once thats done fit them back on so the bowl is at the gearbox side of the engine.
You see the pipe coming off the manifold? there should be one on the other side too, link them together with a pipe and t off if you have a servo for the vacuum.
Then once all that is done, you know they are roughly balanced due to the butterfly measurements you can then tune them for idle and mixture which can be done using the small pointy screw and the larger plastic ended knurled screw.

i have turned them round. thanks for pointing that out.

20150306_072856_zps5ilmwlre.jpg

PSG said:
mattyd72 said:
PSG said:

i have turned them round. thanks for pointing that out.

20150306_072856_zps5ilmwlre.jpg
Happy to help :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts