Ajustable spring plate help!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddie

Reaction score
Im gonna be having a go at fitting ajustable spring plates to my bay window this weekend, think i know sort of what im doing but would be very very greatful if anyone knew where i could get some sort of step by step instructions??? As when i bought them from creative enginering they didnt come with any :(

Just a bit scared of getting stuck and not having a mode of transport!

Hi Freddie

This is really easy as long as all of the bolts are not seized.

But I think with a 67 - 69 you will have to remove the hard brake line which goes through the springplate so a brake bleeding job. :cry:

Basically jack up, remove wheel, undo springplate cover, undo bolts on drum end (remove hard brake line), carefully prize spring plate off torsion end, remove springplate. Fit Creative long piece then short peice, (fit brake line) bolt up drum end. Set short end about 1 spline lower (easy to redo if you are not happy with drop). Bolt up spring plate cover, wheel and drop back down.

I hope this helps....I have fitted 2 sets now and they were very strait forward with no real issues, very happy with mine.

Jon

faux said:
Hi Freddie

This is really easy as long as all of the bolts are not seized.

But I think with a 67 - 69 you will have to remove the hard brake line which goes through the springplate so a brake bleeding job. :cry:

Basically jack up, remove wheel, undo springplate cover, undo bolts on drum end (remove hard brake line), carefully prize spring plate off torsion end, remove springplate. Fit Creative long piece then short peice, (fit brake line) bolt up drum end. Set short end about 1 spline lower (easy to redo if you are not happy with drop). Bolt up spring plate cover, wheel and drop back down.

I hope this helps....I have fitted 2 sets now and they were very strait forward with no real issues, very happy with mine.

Jon

Oooooo cool, does sound quite simple then. My bay is actually a 1970 model, not quite sure why it says 68 :?

I want to go as low as i can but im keeping my standard back tires, do you think id be ok to go 2 splines?

Cheers :)

Due to the Creative plates already dropping by 2 inches, 1 spline will be fine, try it like that first.

You will only be able to go a certain drop before the A arms and axles hit the chassis anyway. Dont forget to cut the bumpstops down to about 20mm.

If your spring plates have a notch cust out like the creative ones you should be able to slip them off without undoing the brake lines....saves the hastle of bleeding the brakes.

Good luck

faux said:
Due to the Creative plates already dropping by 2 inches, 1 spline will be fine, try it like that first.

You will only be able to go a certain drop before the A arms and axles hit the chassis anyway. Dont forget to cut the bumpstops down to about 20mm.

If your spring plates have a notch cust out like the creative ones you should be able to slip them off without undoing the brake lines....saves the hastle of bleeding the brakes.

Good luck

Ah yes, forgot that they already drop it 2 inch, yeah they do have a notch cut out, so should be ok without undoing break pipes.

I also have 2 peices of metal in a C shape with 4 bolt holes in them, i was told they go at the back of the hub :? Not quite sure though, any idea?

Thanks for your help :)

Freddie

freddie said:
faux said:

Good luck

Ah yes, forgot that they already drop it 2 inch, yeah they do have a notch cut out, so should be ok without undoing break pipes.

I also have 2 peices of metal in a C shape with 4 bolt holes in them, i was told they go at the back of the hub :? Not quite sure though, any idea?

Thanks for your help :)

Freddie

they are spacers due to the spring plate being in 2 parts rather than then og one.....

OH DEAR

Everything has gone brilliant, got all the bolts off.... fitted the spring plates and the splines are different sizes!!!!!

They dont lock together like the standard ones, you can turn them round inside each other :? :? :?

Surley the splines are ment to fit tight?

Have i got the wrong ones :?

Im so confused and dissapointed :(

The splines should fit snug... the same fit as the original spring plate you took off.

I'm not sure if this will help but here are some pics of when i fitted mine.

22042008301.jpg

22042008302.jpg

23042008303.jpg

23042008306.jpg

Thanks

The bit that the white arrow is pointing too turns round inside the spring plate hole and the splines dont lock tight together like the original ones do :?

sa.jpg

I just dont get it :x

No fella nor do i Hmmmm

So either

creative have sent you the wrong one/its faulty
or
your bus has a different dia/splined torsion bar and original spring plate.

where are you?

ant

ant said:
No fella nor do i Hmmmm

So either

creative have sent you the wrong one/its faulty
or
your bus has a different dia/splined torsion bar and original spring plate.

where are you?

ant

Im In leicester, think im gonna ring creative enginering up and ask them tomorrow, im SURE my torsion bars and spring plates are original, i think the ajuatble spring plates must have been made wrong, they are just a tiny bit too big and wont lock together :?

So anoyed :(

Ooooo wow thanks for those instructions, il have a read through :)

This is the problem....

This turns and it shouldnt....

a11.jpg

It allows me to move it around like this without pulling it off and placing it on a different spine :?

a12.jpg

Must be something wrong :(

Just had a quick gander on the net
IRS spring plates Adjustable come in
21 -3/4 bar dia
24 -11/16 bar dia
26 -9/16 bar dia
Think these are for bays but not 100% sure as the web site didn't
state model

ground hugger said:
Just had a quick gander on the net
IRS spring plates Adjustable come in