Alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2 Brinky

Reaction score
Hi

On way home yesterday fan belt snapped, had a spare so put it on but alternator is now whining/howling

What’s best process for removal plz ?
Also recommended places to purchase new ?

Cheers in advance

This is the advice I got off stuff when mine died. I tried to link to the entire thread but couldn’t. I will try later but offf out. Not a hard job but can be fiddly

Fan belt off, top pulley stripped down and removed
Alternator strap removed
Remove alternator stand nuts x 4
Unscrew and remove fan housing shroud screws on the front of the housing
Then wiggle the alternator, stand and fan out of the fan housing

Pics and description are over two pages of my thread as linked above.
Not hard to do in a field with minimal tools.
Removing the alternator from the fan is a little more difficult and will require an impact driver or bench vice

That’s a great link. Some great advice. Putting it down in my little ‘threads to remember’ black book. Well.....cut and paste the ‘search link up top and chuck it into a word document’ black book 🤔. Cheers.

Alright mate, I've had one of the cheap heritage ones for a couple of years now and it's been fine. Some mixed reviews about them though. When I swapped it I did it in situ but it was a pig of a job even with twin carbs, I'd drop the engine if I ever did it again.

When you put it back together swap the alternator stand studs and nuts for bolts, makes it easier next time :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the prompt response guys

Got it off today , don’t know what’s happened to the 17mm but pulley end but it don’t want to cum off will have to find use of a bench vice somewhere tomorrow

Want to try and get it put back together for busfest

Thanks again

T2 Brinky said:
Thanks for all the prompt response guys

Got it off today , don’t know what’s happened to the 17mm but pulley end but it don’t want to cum off will have to find use of a bench vice somewhere tomorrow

Want to try and get it put back together for busfest

Thanks again

On the pulley end, there should be a notch you put a flat head screwdriver in which rests against the alternator and locks the pulley wheel to stop it moving and allow you to release the nut. Unless I have misunderstood you. :character0036:

How did the refit go? Thinking about the alternator I also bought the heritage cheap one not GSF. I also bought the buttys bits captured bolt as heritage state an original one doesn’t fit or work. I found that the original worked better than the buttys bits one. It fitted better. That is not to take anything away from buttys bits stuff which is well made and awesome.

So after how did it go??

Latest posts