Another 71' Westy makes it over here!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of updates, rear bumper is off and has been blasted. Been polishing a few bits and did a spot of camping:

before

BayViewHoliday2010001.jpg

after

BayViewHoliday2010002.jpg

BayViewHoliday2010003.jpg

Before

BayViewHoliday2010005.jpg

After

BayViewHoliday2010004.jpg

Part way

BayViewHoliday2010007.jpg

BayViewHoliday2010006.jpg

BayViewHoliday2010008.jpg

And some of the camping:

BayViewHoliday2010010.jpg

BayViewHoliday2010019.jpg

BayViewHoliday2010014.jpg

I've polished the surfaces with regular metal polish. It depends how much oxidising has occured, on the strip by the quarterlight, i had to use very fine wet and dry to remove the oxidised surface in order to polish, where as the side window frames have come up with just polishing 8)

Nice job with the elbow grease :mrgreen:

Van does look very nice 8)

After fitting my new rebuilt correct carb and air filter, I found on a run where i'd been driving for say an hour at 65, I had a misfire/lack of fuel type problem. I had to pull over as there was no power at all. Once rested for around only 10 mins all is well again.

So I decided to make sure there wasn't a fuel blockage by taking off the fuel tube under the tank, to see if the screen filter was clogged, and this was what I found:

Fueltanktube002.jpg

So the pipe was sitting above this and could have sucked anything through, possibly the missing bit that is presumably in the tank. So I ordered a new one to be sure:

Fueltanktube005.jpg

This may not be my problem but i felt it was worth discounting

Time to do the cab interior:

Whats this crappy cover hiding...
Newseatcovers002.jpg

THIS! Seems as though as well as some springs being broken tearing the padding and seat cover, mice have been at it too!
Newseatcovers003.jpg

The strip down:
Newseatcovers006.jpg

Newseatcovers007.jpg

Newseatcovers008.jpg

Newseatcovers010.jpg

Newseatcovers011.jpg

Newseatcovers012.jpg

Broken springs, had to weld, not ideal on a spring but for now no alternative.
Newseatcovers013.jpg

In order to repair the padding I took an old worn out Beetle seat and took the horse hair and glued it to the padding in layers to build it up and pressing it in place to repair the torn/missing bits
Newseatcovers022.jpg

Newseatcovers020.jpg

The same for the back rest, a complete corner missing
Newseatcovers031.jpg

Newseatcovers032.jpg

Newseatcovers034.jpg

Newseatcovers035.jpg

Newseatcovers036.jpg

Not 100% happy with the back rest, slightly saggy in places but so much better when compared to the old one! :lol: Just the other seat to do!
Newseatcovers039.jpg
Newseatcovers003.jpg

Looks to be quite a nice job you have done with the seats so far ;)

Fitted my TMI door panels, had to fit a plastic sheet to one side as it was missing, including the inner flap that sits it the drip channel, waxed the inside of the doors which were in great condition:

Old warped door card, stripped of handles
doorpanels009.jpg

Inside lower area all good
doorpanels010.jpg

New plastic sheet
doorpanels014.jpg

The finished door (note the slightly different design with the welded seams not going all the way to the bottom), should have cleaned the edges before installing but have now done it carefully after
doorpanels016.jpg

Finally got my rear bumper back on, kinda got used to it without but it will grow on me again. Minor repair work needed to fill some dents and the over riders were quite dented:

Before
Vanexhaust003.jpg

bumper_poptop001.jpg

bumper_poptop003.jpg

After
Shelfandrearbumper005.jpg

Cheers, not quite up to mychatype3's van but i'm pleased how its coming along. Hows your new bus, watching your thread on it, any updates coming?

cyberdyne systems said:
Cheers, not quite up to mychatype3's van but i'm pleased how its coming along. Hows your new bus, watching your thread on it, any updates coming?

front panels painted, mot in 2 weeks i hope, then gotta get it registered 8)

mychatype3s bus is awesome, 71 is there year tho dude ;)

slammedresto said:
cyberdyne systems said:

front panels painted, mot in 2 weeks i hope, then gotta get it registered 8)

mychatype3s bus is awesome, 71 is there year tho dude ;)

Thanks boys you make me :oops: ;), were coming over to Brighton Breeze in October hope to meet some of you. Greetings mycha

Latest posts