Another approach to the sink unit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglybugger

Reaction score
Inspired by other members of this forum I wanted to change the sink cabinet of my Westy Campmobile interior. The aim was to upgrade to contemporary comfort standards while maintaining the original outlook of this unit. This challenge was good fun and I would like to share with you the outcome of my ideas.
The icebox and the water reservoir needed to be removed to make space for a 12V compressor refrigerator. These are less dependent on outside temperature then the more often used absorber-types are. The refrigerator has almost the same depth and height as the cabinet. While in place, the original door can still be closed (though you have to remove the metal frame). With this refrigerator, a converter to 220-230 V can be supplied. When connected, it automatically jumps to 220-230V and it shuts off the refrigerator when the battery goes low.

sinkcabinet3.jpg

The top sink is replaced with a cooker/sink combination. It is shown before by others, but this time the cooker/sink was turned 90 degrees to gave space and maintain the original arrangement of water filler, rocker pump and ventilation pipe as much as possible. This required some adjustment of the inside of the cabinet (with a chisel) to make it fit, though. Luckily, the wood on the sides of the unit is (just) thick enough. The cooker/sink combination sticks out just a bit on both sides, but you’ll hardly notice because of the rubber edge. At the end of the top of the cabinet, a new wooden plate was screwed on to house the rearranged the original water filler, a new rocker pump and the ventilation pipe.
The shelf in the storage compartment was made to the full depth of the cabinet and the backing plate was moved an inch back inside the cabinet for more room. This way, a tray for cutlery could be placed.
Behind this backing plate a 5-litre water reservoir was fitted and connected to the water filler. It isn’t holding much water, but enough for washing hands, brushing teeth and wetting a cloth to wipe the table throughout the day…
Heat exhaust from the fridge is made possible trough little ventilation holes on the side and trough the ventilation pipe to the roof. Wastewater is removed from the sink by a flexible hose and pipe, which runs through the hole in the floor and collected in a jerry-can on the ground. While driving, the hose is tuck back into the hole in the floor.

sinkcabinet2.jpg

Gas bottle and the described converter are placed under the buddy seat.
Finally, some adjustment were carried out to the sink cover/folding table in the walkthrough were made. First, the hinges moved to the edge of the cooker/sink, therefore this edge had to be reinforced with an aluminium profile underneath. The cover is shortened to fit on top of the cooker part and an aluminium plate was fitted. The hinges needed to be connected to the top of this plate to be able to close nicely onto the cooker.

sinkcabinet1.jpg

I’m very pleased with the results.

you've put a lot of thought into this project and it looks good! :D
We use a portable gas stove atm.

Where did you get the sink/cooker combo and how are you routing the gas pipe to the buddy seat?

Mike

mike202 said:
Where did you get the sink/cooker combo and how are you routing the gas pipe to the buddy seat?

Mike

I've found it here:
http://www.smev.com/

I've used a gas hose (orange in the pics) that just runs across against the little step of the walkthrough. It will be hidden under a wooden profile.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hi,

Looks good! I guess you have seen my setup in my gallery? I used the same fridge, but no sink. Like the little mods you did to retain some use for the sink and water.

Cheers!

Alistair

Thanks Alistair

Sorry but I've missed out on your latest posts on your gallery. That's really impressive work. You've got a good looking bus!
I'm curious to know how the sliding mechanism on the fridge door will work out.

Good luck on the expected newborn!

UB

uglybugger said:
Thanks Alistair

Sorry but I've missed out on your latest posts on your gallery. That's really impressive work. You've got a good looking bus!
I'm curious to know how the sliding mechanism on the fridge door will work out.

Good luck on the expected newborn!

UB

Hi.

Cheers for that, always a work in progress though aren't they?

Not too sure if i will fit a sliding hinge, as i will need to remove the top and bottom fixings on the Waeco, would allow for a little more space to move the fridge forward though.

Will leave it like that for the time being, may well return to the idea a little later.

You using a Smev 927?, that was my initial choice too, nice unit.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:

Yep that's the one,
but it doensn't make toast (with a cooker like yours , Iwould go for the grill option!)

Will follow you closely to see how your plans on making the cooker/fridge swinging will turn out

uglybugger said:
aogrady said:

Yep that's the one,
but it doensn't make toast (with a cooker like yours , Iwould go for the grill option!)

Will follow you closely to see how your plans on making the cooker/fridge swinging will turn out

Hi,

I was originally going for a 4 burner hob and grill, purchased, but umm-ed and arr-ed, measured the distance from the bottom of the grill to the bottom of the area where the fold down flap is, and it was too great a distance, things would never cook, and no real way around it without really modding the unit, and i wanted the sink unit to look as stock as i could, aside from a snazzy hob on top, so decided against a grill, you can get little metal things that sit above the hob to toast with, a little like if you were toasting marshmallows,, again, like the sink, i haven't missed it, and never bothered much for toast of grilled food anyway. I can get a cast iron griddle to fit across the top if i wanted

I used copper pipe, which is just about hidden, mine also run just below the walkthrough vent, but does sit flush, and that's with 2 copper pipes.

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts