Another electronic ignition/flamethrower coil question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Foster

Reaction score
I've just put the new engine in my van (1641 with 009 distributor, twin empi 34s and twin quiet pack exhaust) and was hoping to get it set up on a rolling road.

Is it worth fitting an electronic ignition and an uprated coil?

What make do you reccommend? I have read some bad reports about petronix, plus they seem a bit steep. are they actually any good?

Any other reccomendations on other mild improvements whilst I'm at it?

Many thanks in advance.

I have a very similar setup to you and have to say that when i fitted the Petronix unit and flamethrower coil the difference in idle stability was remarkable and there was definitely a little more go too.

I know there are mixed reviews in the points/Petronix debate but I personally have had only good experience. Although I do carry a spare set of points with me just in case... ;)

Neil

hi, I put the 123 electronic distributor into my std 1600 twin port with stock everything and it completely transformed the running of the van. Better starting more power, less flat spots. So from my point of view I am a fan of the 123. Infact that coupled with new window wipers have made the most dramatic improvement to the van lol.

The electronic points debate is a bit like the oil one, parties on both sides and it could just run and run :lol:
For what it's worth, I can understand the principle and, if they're working, there's a lot of upside.
But... I've had two sets check out so if you do it, I'd thoroughly recommed carrying a spare set of points and condensor 8)

For the record: our bus currently runs them. Because it came that way. Spares packed neatly under the passenger seat just in case.... :msn4:

if i was to carry a spare set of points and condenser for emergency use when using electronic ignition would I need to adjust the timing if I had to change?

Adam Foster said:
if i was to carry a spare set of points and condenser for emergency use when using electronic ignition would I need to adjust the timing if I had to change?

potentially, yes. But it's easy enough to set points static and by eye that it'll be fine as a get you home device.

Latest posts