Another timing question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought an electronic SVDA dizzy from SimonBBC online. Having watched fisher buggies video to remind me how to set the timing and valves. I have done the following.

Placed engine at TDC. Checked cheap dizzy in engine and rotar arm at 5 o'clock. Removed cheap dizzy placed in new Bosch electronic SVDA. Bosch unit fitted and rotar arm at 2 o'clock.

I am going to check my valves and set everything back together with number one at 2 o'clock then 4 3 2 etc. The dizzy is correctly engaged.

The engine is on the bench at moment so hoping this will be ok. I have heard that the units can be put together wrongly in the factory. Also bought this as Bosch but no markings on the unit itself.

Reading on tinterweb as long as the leads are in the right order there should be no issues

It doesn't really matter where the rotor points in terms of position on the clock as long as it points at the cylinder where the piston is at TDC with the valves closed. That's where the spark plug wire needs to go to from that position on the dizzy cap. If this happens to be number one then the next wires (clockwise) go to 4, 3 and 2 in that order. If you start with any other cylinder the order stays the same you just start at a different point. Makes sense?

If it doesn't say Bosch on the dizzy it probably isn't a Bosch. Bosch don't make any dizzies for our engines anymore to the best of my knowledge. Not even in Mexico or Brazil. Your best bet is usually a professionally rebuilt Gemran Bosch distributor with a Pertronix or comparable points-less ignition module module installed. The 123 ignitions also have a very good reputation. All the rest not so much.

Stefan

Latest posts