any tips etc on fitting front cross mem and inner/outer sill

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycoco

Reaction score
hi restoring a 72 panel,floor cut out and need to replaced front cross member and both sides inner and outer sill any tips or advice on doing this and removing(pics if poss) cheers
DSCF1200.jpg
[/img]

Hi there.

Excellent guide on sill replacement here....
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/index.html

Is the top hat section above the front xmember also shot?

Put up some pics of the offending item (just to be nosey)
:wink:

Looks like the usual suspects to me. :lol:
Always maintain a point of reference when you are cutting out that much sh1t. The jacking points look shot but if you cut around them leaving them in place any repair sections you put in should fit around them. Cut the jacking points/point of reference out and re-fit to the repair panels.....kinda makes sense.
Cut the sills, firstly sliding door track, then the inner sill back to the main floor supports again leaving you with a point of reference.

Resto25.jpg

Resto35.jpg

Resto35-1.jpg

Resto38.jpg

Resto43.jpg
Resto44.jpg

Resto46.jpg

Resto48.jpg

Resto49.jpg

Resto53.jpg

Resto54.jpg

Resto70.jpg

All of my floor supports/top hat sections were buggered but this should give you (hopefully) some insight as to what is entailed.
I don't restore these things for a living just bought a totally frikin' rusty bus.
All the repair panels shown are available. Most of the one's shown are schofield...although the sliding door track fit... :roll:

Oh yeah fully support the chassis when the sills get cut out. :lol:

Snakey,
Thank you for posting those pics! I Have been looking everywhere for some good shots of replacing the sliding door track, as I will have to do mine. Is it as hard as everyone says it is?

hi superb help cheers if you look at my 3rd pic i havent got that top sliding panel ,ive only got the inner and outer sill thats why ive not cut that off,only the ends of the front,also ive got the front jacking points and outrigger

ctroutma said:
Snakey,
Thank you for posting those pics! I Have been looking everywhere for some good shots of replacing the sliding door track, as I will have to do mine. Is it as hard as everyone says it is?

I guess mine was reasonably straight forward as there was no loading floor to work around.
I guess as you are from sunnier climes you might be able to get a complete sliding door sill section hacked off a rot free bus, and then graft it in.
Or if you have the loading floor to contend with and want to use aftermarket panels check out the spooky bus.
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/sills/ns/ns.html

oh. you're welcome :wink:

that top bit on the sliding door is a ok no probs just the inner and outer sills,tho in the pic you can see i cut the 2 sides of the outer sill but stuck on how i removing it..

dwg1.jpg

(Ignore where it says cut.....nicked the photo off spooky website :wink: )

The outer sill is spot welded to the sliding door track and at the bottom.

Sorry maybe getting confused here. Is this what you mean?

I'd just carefully cut the outer sill (using thin 1mm discs) along where it meets the sliding door track, then just above where it is spot welded to the botton of the sill. You can then grind off the remaining spot welded sections leaving the sill with the sliding door track in place.

Latest posts