Anybody got a 1776 long block off eBay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
Seen quite a few self made builders on eBay but no details about barrels (cast or forged) and cam (what make). Has anyone took the plunge on here and been pleased/disappointed? Usually priced £1250 to £1500. Can't decide whether just build myself but for time and convenience give it a go :|

Any decent engine will be recommended, eBay for an engine could be a bad idea. It's probably better to talk to your engine builder of choice, there have been a few companies in Essex that have been building shit engines for over 20 years with one name that pops up regularly.
Do it yourself if you know how to.

I would advise to compare what components are used not just the price,

we offer the best value for money as our 1776cc units are 100% brand new components, not refurbs.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/vw-heritage-engines-components/vw-heritage-engines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a search on this very forum, lots of happy campers running our motors for a good few years now.

My advise is spend a lot of time researching before taking the plunge.

All my best with it,

Alex

I've been looking at the same Engines I think, people say to use a reputable engine builder but its near impossible to find one that hasn't been slagged of by someone on a forum at some point, so who do you trust?

If you can build out yourself then fine, personally I've never tried, watched plenty of vids, read a few books, and it seems like it would be possible, but if I got something wrong then it would be a pile of cash just wasted pretty quick.

I'd be interested in a part breakdown with costs to see how much the about cost is just labour.

I've drooled over the VW Heritage ones, but by the time you add the Carbs, exterior oil filter etc your getting close to £4k, which I simple haven't got.

The problem I have with eBay is there doesn't seem to be any name to go by, apart from a Spanish sounding seller that charges more than one Heritage's new engines for a rebuild, so it's hard to find any recommendations, and eBay feedback is so easy to manipulate.

£1500 is obviously not going to be as good as a £3000, but is it half as good?

If your not doing quarter mile sprints, and just driving you Bay normally then do you need all that extra quality/strength?

How good/strong was the original components, my engine 45 years old next month, has probably done the clock at least once and is on 80000 miles at the moment and other than a small lack of compression is running OK, so would I get 40 years from a £1500 long block or even 10?

Sorry to have hijacked your post a bit, but been milling around this for a while.

've drooled over the VW Heritage ones, but by the time you add the Carbs, exterior oil filter etc your getting close to £4k, which I simple haven't got.

SNAP!!!!

I can do this but resto seems to be taking an age and was hoping for an "assist" if you know what I mean. All very good points raised on here. Will consider doing this myself and research quality parts. Just need to find a good machine shop in the North West to bore the case and the heads, preferably one that has done VW aircooled before! Anyone?

I bought a recon engine off ebay couple of year ago (from quite a well known engine rebuilder)
Didn't use it in the end and sold to a local VW garage

Unbeknown to me the cylinder head wasn't torqued down right as engine made a terrible racket when fired up.

Few other things wrong as well, made me feel like crap as I sold it thinking is was perfect.

As with all builders you get the odd bad engine but this put me off

Spent the extra £££ this time on a new SSP engine and its a work of art compared to most rebuilds ive seen.

Do bare in mind that a recon 1600 TP from us is £1894.95 and a recon 1641cc is £1994.95

Our Recon units use more BRAND New parts than anyone else in fact not much is Recon'd

You as forum members get 5% off this,

OR if you catch us a show of on a Flash Sale day you get 10%, ;)

so not much more than an engine you seem like you are taking a risk with,

Mr Chutney said:
I've drooled over the VW Heritage ones, but by the time you add the Carbs, exterior oil filter etc your getting close to £4k, which I simple haven't got.

What ever 1776cc you go for you would be adding these extra costs.

I would consider staying 1600cc but going for something trustworthy!

Alex VW Heritage said:
Do bare in mind that a recon 1600 TP from us is £1894.95 and a recon 1641cc is £1994.95

Our Recon units use more BRAND New parts than anyone else in fact not much is Recon'd

As most people know brand new parts never are the same quality and fitment as OG.

megaaircooledvw said:
Alex VW Heritage said:

As most people know brand new parts never are the same quality and fitment as OG.

That may be true with things like tinware but I would disagree when it comes to engine components,

What would you prefer, a new case or a case that been line bored to the max and is on its last legs, the same with cylinder heads, cranks etc.....

That one can be discussed all day long,but I know where I stand,OG and sure Laurie Pettit would agree.

megaaircooledvw said:
That one can be discussed all day long,but I know where I stand,OG and sure Laurie Pettit would agree.

Laurie sadly doesn't build engines anymore.

But when he did he used to buy lots of brand new components from us.

I understand where you are coming from, but a case that has been cut 3 times and wont cut again is never going to be as good as a case that is brand new from the same moulds.

I had a little search,,, then I had a mahoosive search about. I`ve rebuilt one or two (with help) took a lot of advise from some very trusted peeps. I ended up going 1641 from Heritage, my mate cemented the deal, Alex stepped up to the plate, been in there a year and a bit. I turn the key, I start the engine, I end up somewhere different Yeee Haaah !!! If I was still in the same place because it hadn`t started then It`d be shit,,, but it starts, it runs, it uses next to no oil, it goes well, it pulls well and it`s a lot better than stock and it`s a whole lot better than shagged stock :shock: Fit :? forget ;) drive 8) peace of mind :p What ever it is you want from your van,, I hope that includes just driving it and going camping :mrgreen: If you don`t mind engine in,, engine out,, engine in,, engine out etc etc etc then play the field. OR !!!!! A couple of K and your on the way to reliable motoring and just enjoying your bus :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I likes it by the way :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have had a recon and it pisses oil out everywhere,not got any confidance in it,i will be getting a new one from alex soon :D what ozzie is saying is about right in out in out fed up with it :evil:

i want one thats not going to let you down or you think it is every time you drive it,

As with everything, you get what you pay for. Do it once, do it right. I've bought a cheap rebuild in the past and regretted it. It was never oil tight and the warranty was next to useless. If I have to replace an engine in the future, it would definitely be from VW Heritage and having had a 1641 with twin carbs, I'd always opt for a stock 1600 with a stock carb for simplicity and reliability.

I'd recommend not buying a 1776 from an 'engine builder' located in Barnsley that advertises on ebay, I know of 3 that have been ripped off by him so stay well clear

Latest posts