anyone dyed or sprayed there leather seats?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6455

Reaction score
As above dudes ive got a pair of leather mx5 seats with speakers built into the headrests there in great nick but are tan and i want them burgandy so can i dye or spray them rather than retrim

thanks dudes
mark

Hi!

Did a search on Google found a few things:

There is no way to change the color of leather. Even if you bought leather dye, and tried to re-dye the leather in a big vat, it will not look right, and will not remove the original color. You will end up with a blotchy mis-colored surface, and most likely it will turn shit brown. This is because leather is dyed early in the tanning process; once compelte, there is no way to change the color of the hide. You only can dye tanned leather once, and all automotive leather is tanned.

You will need to buy new leather covers. Spray paint will always crack and flake as your leather stretches and bends when you sit on it.

Though found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoJvdEBYIUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of things, a search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=changing+the+color+of+leather+car+seats&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Alistair

Is it real leather or vynil???

VHT vynil spray works very well and won't rub off on your clothes.

aspro said:
Is it real leather or vynil???

VHT vynil spray works very well and won't rub off on your clothes.

Im pretty sure they are leather

I've always used Vinylkote 40
The best stuff around and meant for the job!
Doesn't crack, fade or come off on clothes.
http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/vinylkote.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck

Spence

Gütterßnipe said:
http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/vinylkote.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck

Spence

Cool thanks spence it sounds just the job ive e mailed them for a price.

mark

Mark6455 said:
Gütterßnipe said:

Good luck

Spence

Cool thanks spence it sounds just the job ive e mailed them for a price.

mark
Its so good I even used it to turn a brown leather jacket black.
Also used on the headlining of my old 66 roof-chop bug plus 2 old mini's - did the seats plus door panels a treat.

just spoke to kolorbond and waiting on a price for the cleaner and dye.

Spence did you spray yours if so did you use an air brush type gun or paint sprayer

cheers
Mark

Got a mail back £62 all in ,leather prep and dye
A lot cheaper than a retrim

Mark6455 said:
just spoke to kolorbond and waiting on a price for the cleaner and dye.

Spence did you spray yours if so did you use an air brush type gun or paint sprayer

cheers
Mark

Hey Mark,

£62 - that's great - I bought mine in a rattle-can format and sprayed myself.
Easy job - I guess it way more expensive this way but I'm going back about 20 years!
I imagine they would let you know the best way to do it, but I remember it was dead easy :D

You'll have to post up some before/after photos.

Spence

Sticks like shit to carpet[/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know its not leather but I did the panels on a bug once and had an og one to compare with and get a colour match, when it had finished I couldn't work out which was the og and 'worked' one. I still don't know today. I did the seats too and the same result. I do think the results may be different with leather though - i'd grab an old leather chair from a scrappy or such like and test it ;)

Carlos said:
Sticks like shit to carpet

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know its not leather but I did the panels on a bug once and had an og one to compare with and get a colour match, when it had finished I couldn't work out which was the og and 'worked' one. I still don't know today. I did the seats too and the same result. I do think the results may be different with leather though - i'd grab an old leather chair from a scrappy or such like and test it ;)[/quote]

Thanks Carlos im gonna test it on a piece under the seat first ill add some pics when ive done it

Mark

We'll I dyed the seats but they look more red than burgundy so I'm going to give them another coat to see if it darkens them
Here's some pics

Before

After

What do you recon?
Also has anyone fitted these if so how?

Mark

Looks good! A bit bright though 8) :lol:

I guess the real test is how they look after a few months of usage?

:lol: :lol: 8)
Thanks George yeah that's what I thought but as you say they may dull with age :?

Latest posts