Anyone had a 'super flyer' gearbox from limebug?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68_early_bay

Reaction score
Looking at the super flyer gearboxes from limebug? Slightly taller gears than a 'normal' freeway flyer for only a bit more money? And was wondering if anyone has one, any good? Built as good as a bears/cogbox rebuild? As they seem to be the places to go :D

And out of interest do we get a forum discount from lime bug :msn4:

:mrgreen: Shaun :mrgreen:

What engine do you have?

I've got a 5 speed 'box in my bay, and the 5th gear ratio is similar to the limebug super flyer gearbox. My 1600 engine (stock except twin DRLA/beetle exhaust) can propel it along quite happily at 70mph/3500rpm on the flat, but on the 4 speed I'd be worried about the gaps between ratios being too great unless you've got a fair bit of power. With the 5 speed, I can drop down to 4th which is similar to the standard gearbox 4th gear. :)

If you've got the power, it's amazing the difference an improved set of gear ratios can make to how it sits at speeds.

IMG-20140606-00102.jpg~original

:)

Tofufi said:
What engine do you have?

I've got a 5 speed 'box in my bay, and the 5th gear ratio is similar to the limebug super flyer gearbox. My 1600 engine (stock except twin DRLA/beetle exhaust) can propel it along quite happily at 70mph/3500rpm on the flat, but on the 4 speed I'd be worried about the gaps between ratios being too great unless you've got a fair bit of power. With the 5 speed, I can drop down to 4th which is similar to the standard gearbox 4th gear. :)

If you've got the power, it's amazing the difference an improved set of gear ratios can make to how it sits at speeds.

IMG-20140606-00102.jpg~original

:)

Cheers mate, I'd love the 5 speed like yours, but the boxes are getting rare and cost a bit. The gaps on the 4 speed will be fine with mine I've got a fairly torquey 1776, when accelerating through the gears on my standard box 4th feels like 3rd I'm always going to change up when I'm already in 4th :lol:

68_early_bay said:
Tofufi said:
What engine do you have?

Cheers mate, I'd love the 5 speed like yours, but the boxes are getting rare and cost a bit. The gaps on the 4 speed will be fine with mine I've got a fairly torquey 1776, when accelerating through the gears on my standard box 4th feels like 3rd I'm always going to change up when I'm already in 4th :lol:

Sounds like the 'box ought to suit you then :)

Can't help with feedback on the quality of the limebug boxes though - good luck :)

Alex VW Heritage said:
K@rlos said:
This might be an opition for my bus.

Pointless Karl, Your much better off getting something tailored to your needs if your going turbo. I am sure Hector would say the same, go speak to cogbox Pete.

Hmmm yeah your proberly right tbh. I better get saving :?

Latest posts