Anyone here race their van?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastwagens

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone races.
Maybe start a tip sharing thread.

This summer I'll be running a 1915 sporting mostly DRD parts.
My build includes L5 heads, cw crank, 300 cfm Holley carb, medium to aggressive cam and a few other goodies
I running this through a stock 71 gearbox this year and looking for a 79 for next year.
15 x 7 wheels but unsure what rubber.

Hi

Yes I do :mrgreen:

Any advice or tips you need just ask,

Maddog set up Ultimate Street Bays a good while ago and I've been at his side assisting since before the birth!

http://www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On there is a link to our facebook page, That is the easiest way of gettinbg questions to us all and getting your needed answers.

Thanks

Alex

Hey Alex this is Darren Lastfogel Were friends on Facebook already.
I've been to the ultimate street bay site and hope to post a time that will get me in the sub 18 group. I wish they had a forums section. Oh well that's why I posted here.

Anyway what your setup for this year? Still sporting the 1776? And what transmission?

fastwagens said:
Just wondering if anyone races.
Maybe start a tip sharing thread.

This summer I'll be running a 1915 sporting mostly DRD parts.
My build includes L5 heads, cw crank, 300 cfm Holley carb, medium to aggressive cam and a few other goodies
I running this through a stock 71 gearbox this year and looking for a 79 for next year.
15 x 7 wheels but unsure what rubber.

:lol: :lol: I am much too slow ....

I was going to say alex on here does - (and looking at the vids on utube its a right little dragon of a bus too) Goes like the proverbial off a chrome shovel :lol:

Great thread...well started! I haven't raced yet but hoping to hit the pod this summer and maybe join USB. Have a 2332 getting built ATM...time will tell I guess!

Yep i race too :D

As my good friend Alex has already said, USB has a website but if you're after tips or questions answered its deffo best to post on our Facebook page - plenty of members use it/view it and im sure you'd get the help you're after. Always willing to advise any budding bus racers to be out there :D

In action.........

Actionwheelie.jpg

wheelie3.jpg

hey guys,

i've been tempted into viewing the USB website a few times now as I do like the thought of giving it a go down the strip. this is not meant to be a negative, but i'm worried that i'll end up doign my first run -which will inevitably be shit- then want to improve it so i'll have another go nd another go then before i know it i'm hooked :)

i noticed that people do things like change the exhaust and tyres, but do people strip their interiors out for the purpose of running the strip. I know some people will because its their strip vehicle, but for those who use their buses for camping :)

Have made all my cabinets "quick release" so I still have a functional campervan but when I want to do a few runs, I can just undo a couple of bolts and slide everything out to shed weight.

Any other tips?...anyone have any comments on carbs vs injection...NoS or other "tweaks" that make a noticeable difference?

fastwagens said:
Hey Alex this is Darren Lastfogel Were friends on Facebook already.
I've been to the ultimate street bay site and hope to post a time that will get me in the sub 18 group. I wish they had a forums section. Oh well that's why I posted here.

Anyway what your setup for this year? Still sporting the 1776? And what transmission?

Last year I upgraded to a 2276cc that again I had Mark @ autotechniks build for me. Don't owrry the 1776cc is tucked away safe and will see the light of day again.

I am still running my Cogbox Built 091 Box with a super diff, all the normal strengthening mods and a longer 4th gear (Only use 3 gears on the track)

As Maddog has said, the facebook page is probably your best source of info as it is like our forum.

Haveacamper said:
hey guys,

i've been tempted into viewing the USB website a few times now as I do like the thought of giving it a go down the strip. this is not meant to be a negative, but i'm worried that i'll end up doign my first run -which will inevitably be shit- then want to improve it so i'll have another go nd another go then before i know it i'm hooked :)

i noticed that people do things like change the exhaust and tyres, but do people strip their interiors out for the purpose of running the strip. I know some people will because its their strip vehicle, but for those who use their buses for camping :)

with my 1776cc I ran a stinger instead of the back box on the exhaust,

Now with my 2276cc i run a python exhaust and A) it's a pain to swap B) they are designed to work as they are, so I don't bother swapping exhausts.

Last year i got a second set of wheels running front runners and slicks and swap these on at the track.

I do empty out as much crap as possible as loosing weight is a cheap way to improve your times ;) Much cheaper than engine mods etc.

Oh and trust me you'll get hooked, I did, the first 10 to 20 runs you do are a blur and really sketchy after that you start to relax into it and enjoy it more and more and more.

It's deffo a drug but one of the ones thats good for ya!! :lol: Maybe not your wallet though..........

It really depends upon what bus you're using...........examples.......

some people go with a panel van or pickup as they are lighter than a full on camper
some people have made various items removable so they can lighten the bus before racing

i remove what i can, when im not lazy :lol: but yes the sink, bed, pop-top and roof rack stay :D

As for engines......thats the individuals choice.....im a Type 1 engine fan but there's plenty of others with different types, including non-VW.
As for turbo, large cc, NOS etc........all depends on your budget and what you want from your bus and how you intend to use it.

Plenty of chances throughout the year to try your bus at a RWYB meeting..............as Alex has said, the first dozen runs aren't normally the best as you need to get used to how the bus runs on track, the start being very important, then tweeks can be made and if you speak to a few of us more experienced nutters we can help with all kinds of questions to get the best out of yourself and the bus.

Just recieved a tracking # my parts, they will be here next week. Come on spring.

I know a single center mount carb is not optimal setup, but it'll do for this year. Next winter I think I'll upgrade to IDA's and look at a transmission rebuild.

My first run at a 1/4 with only bolt on modifications to a 1600 got me 21.3 sec.
So I need to atleast shave 3.4 sec. this year.

fastwagens said:
Just recieved a tracking # my parts, they will be here next week. Come on spring.

I know a single center mount carb is not optimal setup, but it'll do for this year. Next winter I think I'll upgrade to IDA's and look at a transmission rebuild.

My first run at a 1/4 with only bolt on modifications to a 1600 got me 21.3 sec.

My advice is go for 44's or 48's IDF's not IDA's,

IDA's are not very road freindly especially in a bus, i know people running them but they work on VW's and know LOTS!

It's becoming less of a street bus anyway. So really the only time I drive it is to local shows and to the track. Really put less than 1000 a year on the clock. My friend with a CB 2165 is running idf's and is very streetable but the engine has so much more potential.
I also I here the new 48's drilled with the third progression hole is much better for the street.

Any thoughts on the new 48's?

alex4057 said:
fastwagens said:

My advice is go for 44's or 48's IDF's not IDA's,

IDA's are not very road freindly especially in a bus, i know people running them but they work on VW's and know LOTS!

Hector said something along those lines to me cos he runs 48 IDA's in his bug, the progression circuit between the idle and main jets is very crude and that they are a full bore racing carb. Not really what you want running around town :lol:

Anyone on here running a big engine with injection? Adds about £1500 to the engine build cost...is it worth it?

I'd love to go injection, it is deffo's the way to go if you have the budget, don't just factor in the cost of purchasing and installation but also the cost of Dyno and set up time.

Dyno time can cost alot, it may take 3 or 4 hrs to properly set up and map your ecu and this may cost £400 to £500 at least ;)

Latest posts