anyone running red9 wishbone kit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not yet dude , got a couple of fitment issues , the spline on the t25 bevel box doesn't match the splines on the updated connecting rod that red9 is now using (grrrrrrrr) and the mountings that Neil made foul on my bumper mount - but hopefully getting that resolved and heading to GSF to check out 1303 steering shaft bits to see if they match the t25 bevel box . I'll keep you posted

coopster said:
not yet dude , got a couple of fitment issues , the spline on the t25 bevel box doesn't match the splines on the updated connecting rod that red9 is now using (grrrrrrrr) and the mountings that Neil made foul on my bumper mount - but hopefully getting that resolved and heading to GSF to check out 1303 steering shaft bits to see if they match the t25 bevel box . I'll keep you posted

cool, whats your plans for the ali box? I'd like to open one up and see how it's been put together internally and why there is so much play

anyone else had a tight spot?ive just developed a tight spot?goes tight so give steering wheel some welly and it goes thowing me across the road :shock:

feels like when you over tighten the worm on a standard box

strongy said:
anyone else had a tight spot?ive just developed a tight spot?goes tight so give steering wheel some welly and it goes thowing me across the road :shock:

feels like when you over tighten the worm on a standard box

mine doesn't do this but I've only put about 400 miles on it.

How many miles you covered? can you remove the uj connecting rod and establish if the tight spot is in the steering rack or bevel box?

just a guess but I would suspect problem is more likely in the rack than the bevel box

I would say less than 100 miles. I've not got round to having a look yet but will need sorting before I venture out again

strongy said:
I would say less than 100 miles. I've not got round to having a look yet but will need sorting before I venture out again

post back up what you find mate!

lhu128l said:
you guys aren`t really selling this very well ...... :lol:

lol I know, I really don't want to bash it because it's a great kit and loads of work has gone into it but I just think it needs a little bit more development on the bevel box to perfect it.

I'm trying to find an alternative industrial off the shelf bevel box online. Anyone know what ratio t25 ones are?

Blimey, ive not yet driven my bus on the red 9 setup as it's been off to paint but I'm starting to be concerned its going to wear quickly! Please keep the updates coming on this thread. If i can do anything to measure mine before i start to bolt up the column let me know.

Mags said:
Blimey, ive not yet driven my bus on the red 9 setup as it's been off to paint but I'm starting to be concerned its going to wear quickly! Please keep the updates coming on this thread. If i can do anything to measure mine before i start to bolt up the column let me know.

don't think you can mate, I couldn't feel any play at all in mine when it was off the bus

coopster said:

you sorted this yet dude? taking your time! :lol:

I'm think they use bits from the T25 box to manufacture the ali one so as the splines are different sizes I'm wondering what bits of a T25 box are actually used. I've noticed that the input/output shafts on the new box are 90º and the T25 box is more like 70º. I'm thinking if they reused the gears they wouldn't mesh at the correct angle.

I need to get hold of a box to take apart, I know a place to cut gears for me so could be possible fix

Hi mate ,
Got a 10month old kid and I work away so not had the time , plus just got the box back from Neil before Christmas as he had to mod bracket and I have to slight mod bumper bracket to fit hopefully this time home , plus Im also trying to get my trekker on the road haha

I will post some info when i've fitted it

no worries dude. I've decided I can't wait any longer putting up with it. The play is awful on motorway when trying to deal with lorries and cross winds

the beam is ok so i've started my own conversion to the bevel box to see if I can fix this, I'm with you I don't want a replacement because I think it will be just as bad as the design is poor.

this is how much play I had at the steering wheel http://youtu.be/BYp2-m5Wtu4

I've got the bevel box off the van the problem is obvious. Look at the amount of end float in this http://youtu.be/kmkDn5RJxAo

It looks like the box relies on grease pressure to hold it in place. I'll whip it apart during the week and post pics. They need to sort it out, it lets the whole kit down and I couldn't recommend it to anyone whilst supplied with this bevel box.

spent 2k, steering is shit, and now I'm spending more to fix! result! :lol:

Ill have a squizz at yer vids when I get home from work as the firewall blocks it out here , I actually sent Simon @R9 an email the other day just to see if he would reply and he did , he said they are now using a different grease and is sending me a new box up - so I will fit it just to see if its any better before I fit my modded box . I really can't see how new grease is going to solve the problem , sounds like just a temp fix the same as when people used to pack worn steering boxes with grease . Just masking the problems - but we will see .
Yeah I hear you on the 2k spent - that's why I sent this email
"Hi Simon
Thought i would drop you a line , the last time we spoke you had sent me a second bevel box up for my 72 bay as I had issues with play at my steering wheel , the box you sent up was fitted and basically had the same inch of play at the wheel as the previous box . When I called you you said the box was was tight when it left you. I asked if these were tested on a van or test rig before being sent out - I never received a reply.
I'm hoping that you have maybe identified an issue with these boxes and came up with a solution as I had no issues when I had a T25 box fitted .
As at the moment my van drives like it still has a 40yo steering box fitted . I have had my bus checked by two reputable VW mechanics ( David Mylett Motor Engineers and Donald Harvey of DTH Vw services ) and both say play is in bevel box. My MOT man only passed it last year as I know him and was doing a 3week holiday to Spain the following week but stated that it really needed looked at. So I doubt he'll pass it this year.
I have looked into getting a T25 box refitted but this would be at considerable cost to myself and considering cost of the beam was just shy of 2k I thought I would ask you if you have solution before I go down the T25 box route.
I did also ask about bringing my van down to your workshop for you to check it out but again never received a reply about this.

So we will see if the box with the heavier grease is any better ???
I'll let you know

I think it's because the box is relying on grease pressure inside to force everything outward and seat againt the circlip and hold it in place. I can't see this is a good idea, I'm sure it should be used as no more than just a lubricant not to mechanically hold everything in place. The grease will just breakdown or seep out over time and play will be back.

The bevel box I'm fitting is oil filled, has 0 end float and no play. Makes the supplied one look like a scrap heap challenge.

I'll report back when I've finished converting

bluenose said:
I think it's because the box is relying on grease pressure inside to force everything outward and seat againt the circlip and hold it in place. I can't see this is a good idea, I'm sure it should be used as no more than just a lubricant not to mechanically hold everything in place. The grease will just breakdown or seep out over time and play will be back.

The bevel box I'm fitting is oil filled, has 0 end float and no play. Makes the supplied one look like a scrap heap challenge.

I'll report back when I've finished converting

Out of interest what is the bevel box you are fitting ?

just a quick up date on the tight spot.its sorted now.it was just the link bar was too long and was fouling the u joint(bevel box end).just shortened in 10 mm and its all good again

Any updates on the mods to the bevel box? Curious to see what solutions might resolve the issue.

Richard

I've been in my garage making up a bracket to fit my new box today, i'll update once installation completed in a couple of weeks.

did you get the replacement box from red9 yet coopster?

Latest posts