anyone running red9 wishbone kit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone changed the springs the std wishbone came with and interested to know how may clicks people are running at on the shocks? I've even driven mine yet but it seems rock hard.

Mags said:
Has anyone changed the springs the std wishbone came with and interested to know how may clicks people are running at on the shocks? I've even driven mine yet but it seems rock hard.
Adjustable dampening??

As it's the front of the bus, I'd start in the middle of the dampening range and go from there!! :smile:

Mags said:

wait till you drive it mate, mine rides nice with the springs it came with so I've no complaints with that.

I can't remember how many clicks but I think it was around the 15 mark. I got spax adjustable shocks on the back so I just kept adjusting between the back and front till I was happy

I think I started with around 10 clicks,

if it oversteered I would stiffen the front or soften the back.

if it understeered I would stiffen the back or soften the front

Yep you are spot on, I took her out for an MOT yesterday and the ride is very good. Its the first time I have ever driven her with the Red 9 setup. The bad news was I have terrible play when changing direction, at the MOT we noticed the UJ's weren't as tight as they could be so I have tightened them up, but not been able to road test again. I spoke to Simon at Red 9 as I still think there is play in the bevel box, he was very helpful and offered to replace it if I still have a problem but I need to drive her again first to see if the UJ's were the problem.

Mags said:
Yep you are spot on, I took her out for an MOT yesterday and the ride is very good. Its the first time I have ever driven her with the Red 9 setup. The bad news was I have terrible play when changing direction, at the MOT we noticed the UJ's weren't as tight as they could be so I have tightened them up, but not been able to road test again. I spoke to Simon at Red 9 as I still think there is play in the bevel box, he was very helpful and offered to replace it if I still have a problem but I need to drive her again first to see if the UJ's were the problem.

if it's the same after tightening the u joint and there's about an inch of free play at the wheel then it's the same problem we all have.

still waiting feedback from coopster if his third bevel box is any better

Tightened up all the UJ's, this made a big difference, but I still had slop on the direction change. I spoke to Simon, very helpful and sent me out a new box. On the bench there was zero slop in this, I swapped it out and went for a drive but within 10 miles I seem to have a small amount of slop back now. Its vastly better than my first trip out but there is more than I would expect and I think on the motorway and in the wind it will be no better than the OG setup which is disappointing.
I need to send the old box back to Simon now, on the bench this has zero slop as well although you can push/pull the end the steering column bolts to by quite a few mm which I assume affects the meshing of the gears.
I was mulling over this at the weekend and testing the slop in a couple of other cars and realised that we now have both rack and pinion and a bevel box, do any other vehicles have this? Higher up in the thread the T25 box was mentioned, does this have this setup then?

I have other problems to iron out first. I had a knocking on my front end, I tightened everything up and it went away but has come back after very few miles. I will check all the bolts again but something must be moving. What torque should I use for the joints, I don't want to crush the bushes?
I guess I will speak to Simon on this, mice ate my instructions (yes really) so I need to get a new copy as I guess the torque settings might be on this?

Mags

36bc521a23f23fa1f650d53e91c787a1.jpg

973f7f7096d139edfe28fef14c3a931e.jpg

Not sure whether you could zoom in on these bud .... Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it the steering knocking when you turn the wheel or the suspension knocking when your cruising?

did you get the normal speal with the bevel box that you return it and they will check all the tolerances? I suspect they're just pumping the returns full of thicker grease and sending them back out.

The Type 25 box was the one they originally supplied the kit with but that had issues that the UJ between the column and the box was working at to tight an angle

bluenose said:
is it the steering knocking when you turn the wheel or the suspension knocking when your cruising?

did you get the normal speal with the bevel box that you return it and they will check all the tolerances? I suspect they're just pumping the returns full of thicker grease and sending them back out.

The Type 25 box was the one they originally supplied the kit with but that had issues that the UJ between the column and the box was working at to tight an angle

I've got a suspension knocking on gentle bumps, not noticeable on potholes but when the front end is just being compressed with road undulations I get a very noticeable knock as it compresses that you can feel through the seat. Most noticeable was when braking fairly hard going down a hill it was knocking as the brakes were being held on, maybe even like the pads were knocking in the calipers.
I thought I had it last week, torqued up the beam bolts and calipers and it went, after about 10 miles its back. I need to check the whole front end over, everything is new apart from the front hubs with bearings and discs, calipers etc are brand new.

not sure mine don't knock. Although the urethane bushes did squeak a lot, especially when new.

Did you mess with the spring adjustments or just the damping adjustment?

You'll have to get someone to jump up and down in it while you lie underneath and find the noise :D

T25 does indeed have a bevel box :cool:

Last time I spoke to red9 they were still using them on the splitty setup

bluenose said:
not sure mine don't knock. Although the urethane bushes did squeak a lot, especially when new.

Did you mess with the spring adjustments or just the damping adjustment?

You'll have to get someone to jump up and down in it while you lie underneath and find the noise :D

No, it rides so well as is, haven't touched it.

I've fitted the 3rd replacement box Simon has sent me up but haven't had the time to give it a proper motorway test run .
I do have a T25 box and bracketry that Neil @Litesteer made me up . I'm home in a couple of weeks and my bus is due an MOT so I'll update then.
Simon did tell me that they are using a new grease (must be of the magic type) but how that will sort out a potential design flaw I'm not sure .
Give me a couple of weeks and I'll update and stick some pictures up if I go down the T25 route which I suspect I will :)

Just as side note , when I first started having problems I contacted Simon as I originally had the T25 box mounted and asked if he could send me the bracket and I would source my own box - he told me they didn't have the brackets anymore ??? Strange not even 1.
He really needs to get this shit sorted as just sending boxes back and forth just isn't on. I'm also pretty tempted just to drive down to his unit but I live in Glasgow so not a 5 minute jaunt by all accounts.

the magic grease will help because the design is bollocks and relies on internal pressure to hold everything in place. I imagine it will feel slightly better initially but not last long. I've searched the web and can't find any application where grease is used as anything other than a lubricant.

I think it will be a long drive for nothing if you went to show them the play. Lets face it they're well aware of these issues they just have no solution for it. It's pretty difficult to get a bevel box in the space without some level of chassis mod which ruins their bolt on DIY solution and it would cost significant time and money to develop a bolt box suitable for the job.

My conversions going well so I should finish this weekend, if it doesn't work i'll be sacking the kit off.

Just cant believe this is still dragging on and there appears to be no solution forthcoming, my understanding was that the early kits with the T25 bevel box worked well and I've driven one and the steering was really positive so unsure why the change was made.

There are quite a few companies out there that make bevel boxes to your own specification so not sure why they havent gone down that route.

Mags said:
Im hoping to let simon see my bus at Volksworld where he can see the play for himself.

I'll also get him to look at mine, my bus will be at the VOWO show, be good to compare. What day are you there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts