Arrrgh! Are early bay headlights assembly the worst design?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20733

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having real problems trying to out my headlights back together. One of the lights was missing all of it's retaining clips and so was out of alignment and both are missing their seals. I have just been struggling to out even one back together. I just can't get all the clips back on. What a terrible design! :evil: the headlight glass seal keeps pinging off and now I have split it, so have to order another.

My drivers headlight was lighting up the sky in dipped beam and pointing down at the road on full. I am presuming it needs rotating by 90 degrees as others have mentioned, but which part? Just the reflector or the lens as well?

Thanks

Just the glass lens needs rotating, good luck with getting it all back together, wait till you try fitting the headlight to body seal :lol:

Are these headlight to body seals required with the H4 sealed unit replacements?
Only ask as I havent got any fitted to my bus and am concerned with the connectors getting wet?

marco said:
Just the glass lens needs rotating, good luck with getting it all back together, wait till you try fitting the headlight to body seal :lol:

I don't have those on mine, in fact I don't think I have ever seen any :?:

They are listed on a few suppliers sites, not sure what good they do though, as they're only thin bits of rubber.

reflector needs to be fitted correct way or bulb will be upside down or sideways ,when bulb fitted gap in terminals should be at the bottom and yes the clips are a bl--dy fiddle,get some one to hold it together as you prise them on.

According to VWHeritage, the glass and reflector need to be rotated. So which is correct?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Headlamp-RHD-8-67-12-73-Genuine-Hella-312941039D_act_shop.product_pID_59473.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool air have the adjustment screws with little metal tags on:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Baywindow_Products~Baywindow_Electrical_Products~Lights~Headlights/113941183A/Screw_For_3_screw_Hole_Headlight_Rim_-OB-Beam_Adjustment_Screw-CB-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got them sorted. I got new Hella reflectors which came with adjustment rubbers. Found a YouTube video that shows converting beetle to bay headlights and all became clear - easy really. The reason why my drivers light was all over the place was that the PO had fitted the bulb without checking the position cut-out so it was sideways. Now just need to get them aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts