Average cost of a respray?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
what's a ball park price to pay for a decent respray please and are there any cost cutters?
cheers

Fairly common question however there is no "average" cost
Depends on condition of the vehicle being painted and the desired finish.
I wouldnt budget less than 5k for a basic job and 10k+ for an immaculate bare metal show winner

If the bus is 100% rust free, never been messed with or filled and its a same colour refresh the price will obviously reflect it.
Also many if not all reputable companies wont give a price over the phone and will need to inspect the vehicle

Lee C said:
I charged £3k For this one last year.

But I'm oop norf!!!!
I think things are dearer doon soof!!!! :lol:

That looks a very tidy job Lee, was there much prep to do as £3k sounds a fair price?

The welding work was done elsewhere, but we had a lot of prep trying to put previous repairs right!!!!
Ended up doing a lot more work than we anticipated!!
It was done over the course of a few months, the most annoying part was doing a bit prep, finding more rot, sending it back over to the welders, then doing the same again next week!!!!!
To be honest I wouldn't do it again for £3k!!!!!!!!

a

Can't remember what I charged for this one, but it was a piece of cake , as I'd done it all 10 years previously & it had faired quite well!!!

As mentioned above, there's no average price, as there's no average condition for a camper!!!!
Also depends what you want, show winning finish or just useable & shiny!!!!!???

These all look great! I am thinking of nice, straight shiny and usable. I am going to paint it in the same colour but the beltline and roof been respected in the past a cream colour. I am going to change this back to belt in original green, with just the roof in white.
There are repairs to the inside (floor pans and door posts etc.) does this increase the cost any?

Lee I might have to come see you after summer is done with my bus for a bit of treatment like you gave your last one! I've got some rough patches that I need sorting, but made to look a bit rough again!

I don't trust anyone locally as far as I can piss and you seem to have done some quality work - also your sierra yellow bus was mint!

I've just had a respray inside and out on my panel van ,Which was very solid ,no rust through's etc. The company quoted me 3.5-3.6k after I sat down for an hour or so and went over every thing I wanted done .Im a very reasonable person and after owning over 12 classic dubs alway allow at around a grand for a buffer. This should have been easily enough for any extra work on my bus.The tosser ended up charging me 6k and would have gone beyond that if I hadn't had a quite heated conversation with him. Never even got a thanks or cheers when I collected it. I made a big mistake of not getting anything in writing .My advice is get a written quote and make sure they keep you informed on any unforeseen extra work .
I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.
Considering they only work on classic vw's I can only assume he low balled me to get the job ,then changed tact once I had payed more than half the money . :x
Lees work above looks good for the money I must say .I wish I had only spent the sort of money he charges ,very reasonable :).

All depends on what sort of condition you plan to give it to the paint shop in.. If you get the welding done and prep the bus(properly! All the time is in the prep) then you might only be looking at about 1k for a decent paint job.
But that's a risk you take if you prep the bus yourself, if you don't do it right it will be obvious in the paint.

I painted my bus will cellulose under a car port with tarps around it for less than £300 including paint. It looked crap, the finish was poor but it was the first time I had ever tried to paint a whole vehicle before. I learnt valuable lessons from it regards my prep work, luckily (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) the paint was damaged at a petrol station and they ended up paying for a full lower half respray of the bus because the garage were unable to match the poor finish.

The bottom half looks great now, but in the process of all this I found that said paint shop would've painted the whole thing for me first time round for a couple of hundred quid more than I had spent on all the kit! That's based on a fully prepped bus.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

I havent heard of many "reputable" or well known vehicle sprayers being content with the prep being done by the prospective customer
As you said - 90% of the job is in the prep, making sure the panels are flat, straight and ripple free.

Putting their name and reputation to a job with poor or less than professional prep could be damaging for their profile

so, for someone not skilled in this area like me it's sounding like this then...

- Average for a nice job is roughly £3k but cheaper if welding has been done (much dearer for those lucky enough to afford a show quality job)
- Most paint shops like to do the prep work themselves as 90% of the job revolves round this (which makes sense I suppose)
- Always get a written quote before work commences
- shout very loud if things head off the rails!!

I think a satisfactory repaint would be closer to 5 or even 6k rather than 3k
Although if you get it in writing your'e golden as it is a contract

rlepecha said:
All depends on what sort of condition you plan to give it to the paint shop in.. If you get the welding done and prep the bus(properly! All the time is in the prep) then you might only be looking at about 1k for a decent paint job.
But that's a risk you take if you prep the bus yourself, if you don't do it right it will be obvious in the paint.

I painted my bus will cellulose under a car port with tarps around it for less than £300 including paint. It looked crap, the finish was poor but it was the first time I had ever tried to paint a whole vehicle before. I learnt valuable lessons from it regards my prep work, luckily (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) the paint was damaged at a petrol station and they ended up paying for a full lower half respray of the bus because the garage were unable to match the poor finish.

The bottom half looks great now, but in the process of all this I found that said paint shop would've painted the whole thing for me first time round for a couple of hundred quid more than I had spent on all the kit! That's based on a fully prepped bus.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

I did the same. £400 for everything, including the enormous amount of filler I used. Painted it in one of those massive tents they have at haven campsites and the like, with an extension made of tarpaulin. Took all day to get the bugs out and I was high as a kite once I started spraying. Apparently my girlfriend had to pull me out as I was incoherent and wouldn't leave- I was half way through a gun of paint.

The finish is rubbish, but straight ish. And now I think I know how to do a half decent job- at least a load better than this one- but would I want to do it again? I'm not so sure, the month of sanding wasn't 100% fun!

Latest posts