Ball joints - mot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny69

Reaction score
Okay so I replaced all 4 ball joints just over a year ago - van has been back in for its MOT and one of the rubber boots on the lower ball joint is split already - van has only covered about 200 miles since they were fitted. At this rate they will need renewing at every mot.

So I'm wondering is there any way to repair the rubber boots without taking the whole ball joint out again - I've read somewhere about vulcanising tape that some have used successfully as a fix.

Anyone got any ideas

Cheers

I replaced one of my balljoint boots; messy but quite straightforward. Went for an OEM quality one from Cool Air and all is good to date.

You only need to pop the joint out of the spindle. Do be careful though. If the boot has been split for a while then the chance of getting dirt or moisture in to the ball joint is high. Does the joint still look well greased? Or has it all dried up? If it is still looking nicely greased then I would just wipe out a little of the original grease and check for grit etc whilst your at it, if all is good, repack it with some fresh grease and fit the new boot. If it's all dried up then if it were me, I'd replace the joint.

Yes, what he said. I actually whipped the arm off so that I could do it in a vise (less fiddly and only takes a second).

Also, be careful to mark the position of the camber adjusting cam-nut on the lower arm if it's that one that you have to split as it will likely move during dis/re-assembly.

Germany Boot Rubbers:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211405375/ball-joint-boot-t2-68-79-upper-lower-t25-80-92-lower/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts