bay SP engine improvement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melod

Reaction score
Hi.
i have a 1600cc Single Port engine on my bay and i am thinking of making some improvements so that i can ride it well when the van is full.
I was thinking of convert it to dual port and installing 2 dellorto 36 on it. what do you think?
and changing the size to 1641cc? do you think it is worth the money?
Thank you all for the help.

Just re read this, being a single port you can only fit single choke carbs. Eg Dellorto FRD's or Weber ICT's. I would favour those over Kadrons tbh.

Dose anyone have a suggestion for decent exhausts, I have had a quiet pack but it fell apart and was far from quiet.
I see the vintage speed came out not so good on a dyno test in bus and camper, it was either the same or down on BHP.

Cheers
Sam

You can up the power by following the suggestions above, but unless the bottom end of your motor has good relatively unworn bearings you risk destroying it! Chances are your engine is a few decades old. I've lost count of the number of old engines I've seen that have had twin carbs etc stuck on them, only to die within a couple of thousand miles. At the very least check and adjust the crank end float, blueprint the oil pump and renew the big end bearings. You may find the bottom end is so worn that it is worth splitting the case and renewing all bearings.

I 2nd BJ1's advice. If your splitting the case to do bearings it would be worth getting the bottom end balanced ;) will pick up better and the new bearings will last longer.

Thank you all for the help.
my engine was rebuilt 4 years ago, so it should be fine.
if i install the carbs, is it necessary to change the cooling system for a doghouse?
or my original is ok?
thanks

Lifted from another thread:

Monkiboy says:

There is ALOT more to a bus engine than CC.... I have tried to explain this before...

Here is a thread with some very well thought out answers.....

(Also stay away from "slip-in" 88's.... Way to thin for a BUS motor!)

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,21851.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex VW Heritage said:
Lifted from another thread:

Monkiboy says:

There is ALOT more to a bus engine than CC.... I have tried to explain this before...

Here is a thread with some very well thought out answers.....

(Also stay away from "slip-in" 88's.... Way to thin for a BUS motor!)

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,21851.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again I beg to differ, see my reply to this post on the other thread.
My daily driver '72 ran 88mm barrels and pistons, an Engle 110 cam and Weber 32/36 for years without problems, covering at least 15,000 miles of town driving and weekend motorway blasts to Devon and Cornwall before it was sold.

i will change it to twin port with 2 dellorto 36. any advice on manifolts and etc for dellorto?
is it wise to change the oil cooler and tins for a doghouse system?
thanks

melod said:
i will change it to twin port with 2 dellorto 36. any advice on manifolts and etc for dellorto?
is it wise to change the oil cooler and tins for a doghouse system?
thanks

For my 48 IDF's I have CSP manifolds and I'm very impressed with them, cost a bit more but well worth the extra money. And yes doghouse cooling is a wise upgrade.

Latest posts