bay/split

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark__gti

Reaction score
went for a quick drive along the beach todat and saw this in one of the car parks,
a bay with split side windows

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

I am liking the windows 8) but why has he left the front bulge?
:? all the effort and detail in the windows and bumpers then leave the bulge...

Araon said:
I am liking the windows 8) but why has he left the front bulge?
:? all the effort and detail in the windows and bumpers then leave the bulge...

Read my mind. All the effort of doing the front panel, relocating the indicators but not smoothing off that gash looking bump :? Can't see the logic there.

Check out this one I saw at the Kemble Show back in the summer.
I believe it is quite well known at some of the VW shows, but I hadn't come across it previously.

Picture136.jpg

Picture135-1.jpg

:D

I prefer the first one, but they'd both look better as proper bays! :lol:

I've never understood why people don't just buy the car they want in the first place rather than making something else look like something it's not and never will be. They rarely look right.

I think the first could be a SA hybrid.

Check the link out

http://vwclassics.co.uk/index.php?page=bay-samba-2cargo

Also looks a RHD from the pic to back up the SA connection.

Mike

how about an original rhd rust free factory built bay split like this one.Now lives in clitheroe with the extremely good man jony and his missus sarah. Think there has been quite a few mods since these pics
DSC00008.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Noooooooooooooooo! they are just wrong! :shock:
if you want a split buy a split, early bays rocks! :lol:

The sticker in the rear of that yellow Bus says 'Phoenix Motors'. It is a VW dealer in the town of Bloemfontein (Free State Province) where I stayed for 13 years. This is an old jobcard they used:

121874.jpg

The 'ND' reg number on that Bus is from Durban, in KwaZulu Natal, but these days the reg number would end with a 'ZN'

argh i dont know what to say?

i really dont like that split window bay it looks cack.

me personally i love the 14 window fleetline bay...but then i`m biased. I absolutely love the rear corner windows and the bay screen..better than a split in my opinion, but that`s just my opinion..and you can see when you`re reversing..it`s just a shame they weren`t made sexy with lowlights!

I like a split to have bay stuff underneath, but I can't see the beauty in making a bay body look like a split. Has he modified the steering column so it comes up from the floor like 32 Ford? Might as well go the whole nine yards eh?
Pity is the workmanship looks sensational, sad about the poor taste.

Still at least they are still VWs.

I dunno if I would shoot em, but a serious talking to would not be out of order.

David

This guys gone one step further and fitted the body of a genuine split onto a cut down late bay :shock:
splitbay.jpg

Love it or loath it you must admit its cleverly done. More pics on vintagebus,com 'hall of shame' section.

My mate has a bay/split and it rocks! he is a top sprayer by trade and the job he has done is amazing plus his dad used to build engines for Aston Martin and has done his. It rips and looks the dogs! here is a sneeky pic :wink:

ScottsVan3.jpg

ScottsVan1.jpg

Notic the lack of rear vents aswell :wink: and new vents down by the engine, these work a million times better than original and makes it a seriously custom van. 8) I love em when they are customed this much but that orange one is plop! :D