Rear corner speaker panel for a Bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all!
Hope you are well.

Saw this trim panel in a split and wondered if anyone makes similar for a Bay bus to fit in the rear corner between the back side window and the rear hatch?
E7A98CB5-EB27-4C45-A8D3-02A3E75E5AC5.jpeg

Any links most appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

That's a thin skinned panel in a bay with the engine air intake the other side.
You could drill a hole to mount the speaker, but waterproofing it might be difficult and the magnet would be visible through the vent.
Thanks @sparkywig
I’ve no intention of drilling through, but was hoping it was a trim panel that would fit inside with a different radius to it which gave a bit of space for the speaker 👍

Id have thought an enclosed custom made unit that followed the panel would be the best option - yes it would take some space but its all a compromise.

If you've thought about hanging speakers this was one of my lockdown projects. I made it using a wooden floor panel from b&q
(which b&q gave me as a free sample - bonus!)

The speakers are 6x9 with amp under the front seat. The middle section gives a bit of extra storage space too.

Rear spkrs.jpgRear speakers.jpg

I have yet to determine what sizes & depths of speaker will conveniently fit inside my rear hatch, above the thick Westfalia Continental bed cushion and on either side of my rear-window wiper mechanism and blister-moulded trim cover.

2344662.jpg

293541.jpg

294824.jpg

I have yet to determine what sizes & depths of speaker will conveniently fit inside my rear hatch, above the thick Westfalia Continental bed cushion and on either side of my rear-window wiper mechanism and blister-moulded trim cover.

2344662.jpg

293541.jpg

294824.jpg
The one I used are 160mm and I needed to use some spacers between the wood and the speaker to bring them forward. I have a stock thickness foam and there is loads of space. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN6379Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A2850F95-73B7-41D6-9A5F-EE452767C943_1_105_c.jpegDF79F092-52B9-47D0-9332-8F46C642E855_1_105_c.jpeg

I used to have speakers in the rear over head locker for when in the van in ‘camping’ mode. I reckon now, unless you are doing a mad ICE install, then portable Bluetooth speakers are the way to go. No install, no hassle, inside-outside … jobs a good un.

I used to have speakers in the rear over head locker for when in the van in ‘camping’ mode. I reckon now, unless you are doing a mad ICE install, then portable Bluetooth speakers are the way to go. No install, no hassle, inside-outside … jobs a good un.

My rear head locker has two small forward-facing, ultra-sonic transducers incorporated, for the security alarm & immobilisation system.

My early-1980s vintage, Blaupunkt Toronto SQR46, four-speaker, combined radio & cassette player [FM-VHF, SHORT, medium & long wave] doesn't have a "Bluetooth" facility whatever that is!?!

1799487.jpg

The one I used are 160mm and I needed to use some spacers between the wood and the speaker to bring them forward. I have a stock thickness foam and there is loads of space. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN6379Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 4334View attachment 4335

The thickness of the foam bed cushion varies between different motor-caravan conversions and model years. That of my 1973 Westfalia Continental is about 5 inches thick, which is very much thicker than for 1974~79 Westfalia conversions.

That appears to be a very bulky speaker! I was thinking more in terms of the dainty Blaupunkt speakers (or something similar) that were used in the rear parcel shelf, of the early-1980s vintage, Vauxhall Astra Mk.1 hatchbacks.

Last edited:

Latest posts