Belly pan?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
I'm going to get under the bus this weekend and remove the belly pan on the bus!
I was wondering if you guys that have removed yours have replaced them with another pan, something else, or left it bare?
Feedback appreciated as ever, thanks
;)

Justin & Mutley said:
I'm going to get under the bus this weekend and remove the belly pan on the bus!
I was wondering if you guys that have removed yours have replaced them with another pan, something else, or left it bare?
Feedback appreciated as ever, thanks
;)

I fully removed all my belly pans. Everything had rotted out behind them, they are rust traps leave 'em off.

The centre pan should be bolt on/off, so you can clean up, reapir, protect and refit it. I think they are good for protection and noise reduction.

The side pans are welded from new. Im undecided how dangerous they are, I think if a vans going to rot at 30+ years old it will do whether it has pans or not. In the past Ive refitted them after repair work.

Clem said:
The centre pan should be bolt on/off

Interesting my crossover has the centre pan welded on, looks like a factory job as some of the excess welding wire was left there and it has factory overspray on it. I always assumed that later bays had the bolt on ones and early ones were welded (if fitted)??

Loxy said:
Clem said:
The centre pan should be bolt on/off

Interesting my crossover has the centre pan welded on, looks like a factory job as some of the excess welding wire was left there and it has factory overspray on it. I always assumed that later bays had the bolt on ones and early ones were welded (if fitted)??

My 68 bay belly pans are all welded on. Fetching them off is not much fun, i cut round the outrigger and sill areas using a grinder, but care must be taken to only penetrate the pan and not the sill behind. I chiselled the side pans off by effectively cutting the pan from the spot welds and then ground the remaining welds on the chassis flat afterwards. :roll:

Just had another look under the bus - it appears that mine are welded on too! I won't replace them unless road noise becomes a pain, they aren't in the best of shape any way!!!
Thanks for the advice guys!

Ah, could be a year thing then. My last van with a centre pan was 'full fat', so was a bolt on. :)

Clem said:
Ah, could be a year thing then. My last van with a centre pan was 'full fat', so was a bolt on. :)

Yeah my old 78 devon belly pans were bolt on as well, could it be something to do with fitting heaters? werent post 72 petrol heaters the BA6 type that went under the belly pans?

Hi all
The belly pans on our '71 were all welded and a pig to get off! Spot welds down most of em and seem welded all way down sides near sills.So don't know if that was factory or after fit?There was that much crap under there you couldn't tell but i don't think some blokey did it on his back on the drive. . .would have said it was proper job!!

Good luk with removal

Col

I was gonna keep mine off but these seem interesting...

http://www.riveria-roof-company.co.uk/bellypans.html

That makes sense! May look into these :D

Scarey belly pans, wish i knew then what i know now, the area underneath ours is a right mess everything is rotten, but looked ok when they were on. Keep telling myself will all be worth it when done, and at least i will k now its right under there. :) :)

fredsshed said:
Scarey belly pans, wish i knew then what i know now, the area underneath ours is a right mess everything is rotten, but looked ok when they were on. Keep telling myself will all be worth it when done, and at least i will k now its right under there. :) :)

Exactly how mine was. I bought mine as a rust free import from Karmann Konnection and they assured me that all behind the pans was ace. Oh well a lesson learned, and as you say at least it is all good now.

Latest posts