belly pans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bug power

Reaction score
hi all just a quick one .do i take OFF BELLY PAN OR NOT the floor looks good inside . but not so good along the sill .i am not doing a full resto on it .just need it on the road .then do bit to it as i get time and cash thanks :?

hard one, bit like do i look before i cross the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you think all is fine, you could have a peek, but then again they could be hidding all sorts of things, depends how brave you are 8) 8)

I agree it is a scary one, but to be honest its worth having a look, cos you may find something that needs serious attention and we want all of our earlybayers to be safe! 8) :wink:

Get 'em off. My '68 was advertised by Karmann Konnection as solid and rust free. The belly pans were full of stones. So I removed them to clean it out and waxoil in there. When they came off it was all fucked behind, everything looked solid and pristine on the outside.

thanks guys it looks like i will just have to face it.off is best.but should they be welded along the sills. if ya or na how do they come off I DO'NT THINK I'M GOING TO LIKE THIS :cry:

Had to cut mine off as welded all round (still tidying up!!!)
Carefull on the drivers side as tubes and cables just above and I caught
the tube with the 'leccy cables in and now have a few cables with no insulation
on (luckily no cut cables)! :cry:

Discovered that the top hats are good but as for the rest............
Not had the bottle to take the duff metal yet as not sure how to attack it! :(

Good luck

bug power said:
thanks guys it looks like i will just have to face it.off is best.but should they be welded along the sills. if ya or na how do they come off I DO'NT THINK I'M GOING TO LIKE THIS :cry:

Basically you need to cut the middle out of them and then cut the remainder back flush with the chassis rails, outriggers and inner sills.

mine still (welded) on from previous work done before I got the van - cant hear anything rattling when I knock on them so assuming theres no rust !!

Personal choice.

If you have a pop top or sun roof, some people will put them on as it can
put a bit of the rigidity back :shock: but I'm still not sure about that one :?

Latest posts