Timing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbo

Reaction score
Have just renewed all petrol pipes. had to have the distributor out to get to pipes on the pump, now engine not starting, was sure I replaced it as it was but if not could it be just 180 out had noted position of timing on dizzy and marks on mounting plate. With the drive being offset is this probably the problem Thanks p.s. now turned 82 and things take a lot longer to do.

Have just renewed all petrol pipes. had to have the distributor out to get to pipes on the pump, now engine not starting, was sure I replaced it as it was but if not could it be just 180 out had noted position of timing on dizzy and marks on mounting plate. With the drive being offset is this probably the problem Thanks p.s. now turned 82 and things take a lot longer to do.
Did you take the fuel pump out when the distributor was out as if you turned the crank pulley you would knock the timing out by 180. If you took just the distributor out it would only go back in one way.
PS 82 just a number 😊

Do you have a spark ? It would take seconds to swap it over . If you took your dissy out without taking the cap off and making a mental note of where your rotor button / arm was pointing then there’s every possibility that you’ve done exactly that. Check you have a spark at the points or at the plug leads if you can rope someone in to hit the starter for you and then if you do have a spark, try the 180’ out theory and turn him around. I know what you’re saying with stuff taking so much longer. If I’m under the van, it can be an issue just turning over and I keep a beer crate handy so say to sit on but I usually use it to help me get back up and I’m just a youngster at almost sixty eight and just sneaking up on seventy.
P.S. if it won’t start, it’ll still be cold ,,,,, so might be a great time to check your valve clearances, especially on number one, then you’ll know for certain where you are, bang on or one hundred and eighty out. (Said in a big booming voice) :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I thought older would be smarter but I’m still waiting :)

Hi hobbo, great going!
Hoping I’ll still have my bus and tinkering with it at 82!
Since you have all new fuel pipes it may take a while to get started if the pump has to fill the pipes and carburettor first.
Good luck hope it fires up soon.

Sorted, many thanks for your replies, helped me get into the mindset to sort it. Checked all pipes first then checked fuel was getting to the carb , and then checked for spark. No spark so checked I had feed to the coil yes, guess what it was that pesky condenser had new one in the bus and away she went on the first turn, jusy come in after tweaking the timing, running perfect. I new I still had it in me, things just take time and a lot more planning, wondered if I was probably the oldest driver still driving a bay window and loving it. Many thanks all.

Sorted, many thanks for your replies, helped me get into the mindset to sort it. Checked all pipes first then checked fuel was getting to the carb , and then checked for spark. No spark so checked I had feed to the coil yes, guess what it was that pesky condenser had new one in the bus and away she went on the first turn, jusy come in after tweaking the timing, running perfect. I new I still had it in me, things just take time and a lot more planning, wondered if I was probably the oldest driver still driving a bay window and loving it. Many thanks all.
I spend half my time in the garage looking for my glasses then the other half wondering why I wanted them in the first place. Start a job and put my spanner / screwdriver / or whatever down next to me, pick up something else then wander about looking for my spanner / screwdriver / whatever then wondering what I was doing in the first place.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, glad you got there bud. :)

Sorted, many thanks for your replies, helped me get into the mindset to sort it. Checked all pipes first then checked fuel was getting to the carb , and then checked for spark. No spark so checked I had feed to the coil yes, guess what it was that pesky condenser had new one in the bus and away she went on the first turn, jusy come in after tweaking the timing, running perfect. I knew I still had it in me, things just take time and a lot more planning, wondered if I was probably the oldest driver still driving a bay window and loving it. Many thanks all.
Brilliant, hope that I’m still tinkering when I get to your age 👍 truly inspiring. I’m currently at the forget where I’ve put it / reading glasses everywhere age 🤣

Latest posts