Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trying to make the most of what's left of the summer! we took the bus to a localist meet over the other side of Aylesbury a few weekends ago. always nice to see other VWs out and about!
Nice photo. Hope you still have more fun before it's gone.:)

trying to make the most of what's left of the summer! we took the bus to a localist meet over the other side of Aylesbury a few weekends ago. always nice to see other VWs out and about!
View attachment 3412
few jobs to tackle over the coming weeks before the weather turns. Get the diesel heater installed and the heated screens in - although I'm particularly nervous about installing the front screen!
With the front screen, just get a fitter to do it, one that does it for a living every day. I remember installing a screen and windows in mine with three mates, luckily one used to do it years ago but did know how to do it, took us about an hour or so to do the whole van, and that includes loads of mucking about and Micky taking. Had a new laminated screen put in a couple of years back after fixing up around the aperture and this guy did it on his own in less than twenty five minutes, great job too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,there’s certain jobs,,,,,,,, :)

With the front screen, just get a fitter to do it, one that does it for a living every day. I remember installing a screen and windows in mine with three mates, luckily one used to do it years ago but did know how to do it, took us about an hour or so to do the whole van, and that includes loads of mucking about and Micky taking. Had a new laminated screen put in a couple of years back after fixing up around the aperture and this guy did it on his own in less than twenty five minutes, great job too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,there’s certain jobs,,,,,,,, :)
Great idea. I’m ok with fitting the rear window but I’ll get someone in to do the front. 👍

Great idea. I’m ok with fitting the rear window but I’ll get someone in to do the front. 👍
If you’re getting them in to do the front screen , I’d get them to do both at the same time and put yourself in charge of getting them a nice clear area to do their thing. As soon as they’re on site , flip the kettle on, when you hear a load of slapping twenty minutes later then that’ll be when you pour the coffee and open the choccy bickies. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and don’t cheap out on them bickies :););):)

If you’re getting them in to do the front screen , I’d get them to do both at the same time and put yourself in charge of getting them a nice clear area to do their thing. As soon as they’re on site , flip the kettle on, when you hear a load of slapping twenty minutes later then that’ll be when you pour the coffee and open the choccy bickies. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and don’t cheap out on them bickies :););):)
Is there anyone recommended on the forum that does screen fitting?
Who really knows these buses?

Another learning day with the bus!!
Front screen out to find the rust fairy had visited!
So it’s time to order metal again!
D311F8F8-B556-4880-A552-44F931712FEA.jpeg
So original screen back in for now.
Rear heated screen fitted and looks great!
428336E9-E5CD-4EC7-B2BD-FC5200DF36D4.jpeg
Also topped up the brake fluid only to watch it pour straight out the bottom and down the outside of the pipe 😁
Big crack at the back of the reservoir so a new one of those on order as well.

7A243815-87A7-41A6-91BF-90C02D5653A3.jpeg

Brilliant 👍 we were out all day today, it barely stopped raining as we toured around mid Wales with our diesel cab heater on, drying us out and keeping the screen clear for the whole journey. Best £100 ever spent 👍

Wow! It will be T shirt and shorts in your van all year round 🤣
Brilliant 👍 we were out all day today, it barely stopped raining as we toured around mid Wales with our diesel cab heater on, drying us out and keeping the screen clear for the whole journey. Best £100 ever spent 👍

I’ve kind of ignored the original heating and gone for modern solutions.
Looking forward to getting the rest plumbed in, hopefully this weekend. Had the last few bits arrive today…
Then I’ve still got to make a bracket I’ve designed for the controller.

both front seats finally in this weekend. ran power to both and adjusted them as low as possible.
both custom seat belts now in as well - all together a far more comfortable and safe place to be!
next job is to finish the sound deadening in the front cab area, then run the wiring across to the seats and connect up the heated seat loom, then carpets on top 😁👍
just in time for the colder weather to arrive!
I noticed that you didn’t cut the bulkheads behind the seats. Do your seats recline? I have a pair of E90 seats from a BMW that are heated and recline too.
I’m a bit nervous to do any major surgery to the interior to install the new seats.

I noticed that you didn’t cut the bulkheads behind the seats. Do your seats recline? I have a pair of E90 seats from a BMW that are heated and recline too.
I’m a bit nervous to do any major surgery to the interior to install the new seats.
Would be nice to have a bit more recline to be honest. But it’s doable. Just have to move the seats forward a bit more to get the recline angle.

Would be nice to have a bit more recline to be honest. But it’s doable. Just have to move the seats forward a bit more to get the recline angle.
I friend of mine installed BMW seats in his ‘71 bus. He he cut the partitions out and relocated the brake fluid reservoir.
He also lowered the seat pedestals by 2.5 inches so he could see out the driver’s side window!
I think I’ll leave the partitions alone for now and just lower the pedestals.

I dropped the Porsche seats as low as they would go. I'm 6ft and can just see out of the front screen without having to stoop down, so it's comfortable enough. I need to move them forward a little bit more just to give maximum angle for the back, as it's still a bit upright.

Latest posts