Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High level third brake light finally working!
Thought I probably should connect the wires that have been dangling in the engine bay for months!
View attachment 8741
As I mentioned a few days ago, high-level brake-lights located at the top of a 1968~79 VW Type 2, first used after 31st December 1970, might run foul of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, which specify the legally acceptable height limits at which brake-lights may be mounted; normally a maximum of 1,500 mm & minimum of 350 mm for brake-lights / stop-lights.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/12/made

(i) Maximum height above the ground – 1500 mm or, if the structure of the vehicle makes this impracticable, 2100 mm

(ii) Minimum height above the ground – 350 mm

It would be practical to fit a high-level brake-light at the bottom of the rear window, so one mounted at the top of the window could be regarded as infringing the regulations and hence render the driver liable to a fine & licence penalty points.

When modifying and/or accessorising one's vehicle in any way, one has an implied legal duty to ensure that this complies with all relevant regulations, the two most common of which are:

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

https://mycarimport.co.uk/kb/what-are-the-road-cars-construction-and-use-regulations-1986/

Each separate infringement of these and/or other regulations, could be interpreted as separate offences, each of which is liable to separate fines & licence penalty points etc!

so...!
I've had this awning project in my head since buying the bus.
have done so much research into what others have done and recently I treated myself and bought one!
3.6m Fiamma.

Taken a bit of planning but finally finished installing it today

View attachment 8301
View attachment 8291
View attachment 8292

Had to fabricate a way to mount it so I bought a roof rack just for the two main metal bows (obviously they came in silver so I had to spray them white quickly! as did the C rail!). One at the back and one fitted through my existing front rack.
Then I bought a 6m length of stainless box section, cut it to 4M and then the remaining length in half.
Got those welded together and then also made up some thick brackets to strengthen everything.
Lots of stainless fixings later and bolted the awning C rail to the main construction at this point:
hardest part was drilling it all - cobalt bits for the win and lots of lube!
View attachment 8293

View attachment 8294
View attachment 8295
View attachment 8296
and we are done! clears the pop top with about 10mm gap.
Super strong construction. fitted bungs to the ends of the box section.
Be nice to neaten up the end of the C section somehow and also make it less pinchable!
View attachment 8298

Overall it is pretty much how I imagined it. haven't even had a chance to unroll the awning yet as had to get back to work and the bus is currently stored away from home so had to get back.
I wanted it all fitted into time for taking the family camping next week and then for the camp out at Dubs at the Castle 😁
so...!
I've had this awning project in my head since buying the bus.
have done so much research into what others have done and recently I treated myself and bought one!
3.6m Fiamma.

Taken a bit of planning but finally finished installing it today

View attachment 8301
View attachment 8291
View attachment 8292

Had to fabricate a way to mount it so I bought a roof rack just for the two main metal bows (obviously they came in silver so I had to spray them white quickly! as did the C rail!). One at the back and one fitted through my existing front rack.
Then I bought a 6m length of stainless box section, cut it to 4M and then the remaining length in half.
Got those welded together and then also made up some thick brackets to strengthen everything.
Lots of stainless fixings later and bolted the awning C rail to the main construction at this point:
hardest part was drilling it all - cobalt bits for the win and lots of lube!
View attachment 8293

View attachment 8294
View attachment 8295
View attachment 8296
and we are done! clears the pop top with about 10mm gap.
Super strong construction. fitted bungs to the ends of the box section.
Be nice to neaten up the end of the C section somehow and also make it less pinchable!
View attachment 8298

Overall it is pretty much how I imagined it. haven't even had a chance to unroll the awning yet as had to get back to work and the bus is currently stored away from home so had to get back.
I wanted it all fitted into time for taking the family camping next week and then for the camp out at Dubs at the Castle 😁
Wow! This whole gallery thread is great. I just scrolled through the whole thing! So much information and problem solving.
I’ve just bought a 71 Bay so my journey has just begun.

So how did I do?!
Picked this up for £50 on FB Marketplace.
Looks to be complete, opening mechanism seems to work well.
Presume the handle isn’t correct as that would get snapped off during the first journey!
There’s even the frame for the fly screen still in it.

My plan is to clean it up and fit it.

To get the fly screen frame out do I need to take apart the main frame itself?

Seen a black main seal, as apposed to grey, for sale. Any other seals I need to buy to fit it.
IMG_1331.jpegIMG_1333.jpeg
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1334.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg
I notice there are pinch ended channels on each edge. Are they for an additional seal? Or just to locate the main one?
IMG_1334.jpeg

Also don’t appear to have any screw holes around the edges.
From what I’ve research I thought these style windows screwed through the frame into the metal work.

Is that not the case with all these style??
Are some held in by the seal only?

They are screwed through the holes in the window surround into a grooved tapered slot along the inside of the westy window. You can drill holes to match in your window surround, if you ever go back to a fixed window the seal covers the holes.
The seal is just there to tidy up the opening.

They are screwed through the holes in the window surround into a grooved tapered slot along the inside of the westy window. You can drill holes to match in your window surround, if you ever go back to a fixed window the seal covers the holes.
The seal is just there to tidy up the opening.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Odd that this one doesn’t seem to have any holes in it already. Must have been installed previously.

Just clean it and oil all the hinge parts, there was/is a seal kit for it that I did but years ago but on inspection there was no way I was attempting a strip down as opening a huge can of worms in my view! My two dont leak, and I fitted the grey seal as this is what Westfalia fitted back in the day but the choice is yours. I did get a local polisher to do his magic on it years ago and mine still look shiny to this day. Handles available on ebay etc

Just clean it and oil all the hinge parts, there was/is a seal kit for it that I did but years ago but on inspection there was no way I was attempting a strip down as opening a huge can of worms in my view! My two dont leak, and I fitted the grey seal as this is what Westfalia fitted back in the day but the choice is yours. I did get a local polisher to do his magic on it years ago and mine still look shiny to this day. Handles available on ebay etc
Agree - it seems to work well enough not to require a full rebuild.
Just going to clean up the glass and ali and then get it fitted!!
Are the handles the black disc rotating ones?

So I think I now understand how it stays in place once installed.
Screw through the interior metal work and into the ‘pinched seam’?
Although I still don’t quite get the shape of the metal window aperture that enables that to happen.

Anyone know the correct size of screw please so I can buy some?!

Am I on the right lines with these pics below or completely wrong still?!!!!
IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1361.jpeg
IMG_1360.jpeg

Given it a first clean today and seems to work ok.
Got the screen frame out which I’ll clean and then reassemble with mesh. (Thanks @sparkywig !)
IMG_1378.jpeg
Ordered seals and correct winder handle.

Nice little project to work through on a bank holiday 😁

Not sure where this should be?!
IMG_1380.jpeg
Was rattling around loose.

Last edited:

Latest posts