bernie the 1971 microbus deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby

Reaction score
hi everyone this is bernie (my girfriends choice) and he is my first aircooled vw i got it on the 8th of january from Rich b (thanks and hope you like what we have done) me and glennbo have been tidying him up for a while at the minute he looks like this:

050.jpg

049.jpg

048.jpg

040.jpg

045.jpg

036.jpg

051.jpg

Great looking van dude 8)

Arse looks a wee bit too high for me but like it all the same :D

hi everyone iv been helping bobby since he got the van so you might get a few updates from me.
when he got the van back and we had given it a good look over we decided to do some jobs that wouldnt cost to much so we started with under the seats were the brake fluid had leaked
so it went from this......

016.jpg

017.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

to this.....

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

then we decided to make some kick pannels up the old ones looked abit rough

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

all coments welcom thanks glenn

thanks glenn :)

yer you are right mr gninnam we fited dropspindles from t2d last weekend but havent lowerd the back yet :oops:
so it is a lot higher at the back than it looks in the pics!

And i no longer have white walls on the front thanks to having to fit 185/60/14 :cry:

bobby said:
thanks glenn :)

yer you are right mr gninnam we fited dropspindles from t2d last weekend but havent lowerd the back yet :oops:
so it is a lot higher at the back than it looks in the pics!

And i no longer have white walls on the front thanks to having to fit 185/60/14 :cry:

Glad it is in the plan to drop the rear then as it will IMHO look a lot better :D

Great work on the interior also ;)

thanks gninnam :)

yer with a maximum buget of £20 for most jobs i dnt think we are doing too bad :D

i gave it a real good clean = free
we checked all inside the boot aswell = £15 (but dnt have any pics yet)
we sprayed the wheels red and terned the tyers round to show the white walls = £36
and fitted a tuch screen cd player wich i had in the shed = free
The girlfreind made some curtains wich me and her fitted = free to fit + free as a gift
fitted a big foot throtal peddle = free to fit + free as a gift from her
i dug out a masive roof rack (wich ways a tone) from someones garden = free
then me and glenn sanded it down and painted it as soon as i weld up some brakets and have
some more people to lift it that will go on top
and i also made a "11 ball" gear nob out of a snooker ball that i defenatly did not take from work :msn4: = free (mite make it so it reads "71")
i put a new valve in the washer bottle = free because i pinched it off glenn

thats pritty much everything so far other than puting a sliding door panel on and sticker bombing it and the work we have done to the engine wich had 68 psi 5 psi 0 psi and 0 psi when we got it! :shock:

we manage to get it runing better by setting the valves putting on new plugs / ht leads and then tuned it up abit
so far so good and the aim is to get it pritty much ready for the vanjambore on may 20th at Lincoln show ground

Hi bobby
Glad your enjoying the bus, looks a lot different to when you came to collect it!
It will look sick once the rear is dropped a bit in my opinion, see you at van jamboree dude :D
Cheers Rich

Just found out this pic for you bobby,
How it started life in the UK!

P1020420.jpg

P1020421.jpg

And the bus parked next to my split panel :D

e39756fc.jpg

See you soon dude 8)

Yeah iv got a few more too, if you get bobby to send me his e-mail address il send him an album with all the photo's I took when I had the bus :D

Cool looking bus dude,loving the red wheels,thought about adding some red to mine as its a similar blue to yours,I now know it looks good. :D

thanks rich :)

Glad i could help bluebay :)

Yer lots of people didn't think baby blue and red would go but i wanted hotrod wheels so......

Red wheels/white walls and red and white curtains it was :D

hopefully red panels in the future with the black bits like vents,astray,heat chanels
and black seats with the checking should add a splash of red/white inside without going overboard and
the white should stop it from looking too gothy.........

but thats only the plan dosent meen its going to work that way!

quick update
the plan was to tiedy it up for the vanjamboree so first we painted the hub caps

007-3.jpg

this is what the inside looks like

006-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

got the sliding door pannel fitted along with stickers

005-3.jpg

we also got the free roof rack on fitted with some suit cases bobby got from a car boot sale.
here it is at vanjamboree with the trunk on the rack he got for a tenner and his ats classics he tried to sell.

050-1.jpg

054.jpg

he also won an award in the show an shine for best type 2 bay :D

8)

Well done for getting an award bobby, you have totally transformed this bus and im glad your giving it a new lease of life!!!

Right dude, far to much to send in a text so here it is...
If the points are knackered its not worth cleaning, they are so cheap from GSF (on tritton rd in lincoln) just bin them and fit new.
Playing with the mixture on the carb was probably a mistake as it was running fine before and carbs don't just drop out of adjustment.
When you say it feels like its seizing I'm guessing you mean its jerky under acceration and lacking power?
It's going to be a bit of shit in the main jet, done it on my beetle yonks ago and only the other week on my mates early westy. What you need to do is:
1) Remove the air filter
2) Remove the 5 screws on top of the carb, 4 are on each corner of the float bowl and one is at the front of the carb
3) Remove the top of the carb taking care not to damage the paper gasket
4) Check the float bowl is full of fuel, this proves your fuel pump is working and there isn't a problem with the float mechanism in the carb
5) The main jet is and inverted U shaped brass tube, there is a small collar where it fits to the carb body. Very very carefully using a small flat blade screwdriver prize the jet up putting the blade of the screwdriver underneath the collar. Make a note of where the jet is pointing as this is where it needs to be put back.
6) Using carb or brake cleaning in an aerosol can (available from halfords, allwoods etc) squirt the cleaner down each end of the jet several times. It's imperative you give it a good squirt down the end with the small hole as this will blow the crap down the jet and out of the big hole where it fits to the carb.
6) Then put it all back in the reverse order you took it all off.

So as you guessed its a lack of fuel. If it was a lack of oil or overheating you'd notice the oil light would flicker at idle (due to low pressure) and oil starvation tends to bugger the crank before seizing so you'll hear it rattling. If you need a reference for the crank rattle of death theres one in my resto thread (caused by too much sealant on the oil pump cover which blocked the oil galleries)

And be really careful not to overfill your engine with oil, it'll just blow out the flywheel oil seal which is an engine out, clutch off, flywheel off job (bit of a ball ache really as lining up the clutch needs to be cock on otherwise the engine won't go back in, and the flywheel nut is cranked up to a stupid figure that I can't remember off the top of my head but it usually requires clamping the engine in place and putting a 6 foot scaffold pole over your breaker bar)

ok thanks scotty will have a go at doing that as well as replaceing the condencer on the coil to try fix the burt points?

the only reason i didnt take the carb to bits is because the hole time i was working on it and putting it back in it had a cap off one of the cans of engine degreaser over it so didnt think it would of got any crap in it :oops:

oh and we got the oil pressure and oil temp gages working! :party0049:
attemted to convert my reverse lights to indicaters but have still got to isolate the brake lights
and the oil leak terns out is not coming from the oil cooler as it is still leaking :cry:

my car needs mot and tax :(

but we are off to corwall on the 10th next month :D so if its not fixed before then or it brakes down i recon im going to set fire to it! :x

Latest posts