Big motors, who's packing what?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StuF said:
Replaced the 1600 twin port unit running 34ict’s electronic ignition and a VS exhaust with this:

a3421ac20ce07421b7f528e16bb0dcb3.jpg

After a bit of cleaning and stripping had this

2cd1cef8173c7d24fc136348ec72e392.jpg

79519606d419bd5371ecf80b0b510349.jpg

Now installed in the bus

46a4edea4b6165f52eb9848553328d12.jpg

58637096b0d1eeee4382052e28e7802b.jpg

2001 Subaru Legacy EJ25 (2.5ltr) Flat Four Boxer engine, fuel injection, Bosch 044 Fuel Pump, Cold Air Induction, Powersteering and Aircon delete, shortened sump, performance leads, plugs and coil pack. Braided fuel lines Custom exhaust made by Mike Hausmann.

Power should be approx 180/190bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can appreciate the appeal of that conversion but could never do it myself. My heart is with Big aircooled’s and carbs

Yes mate - understand the sentiment and would have remained aircooled if it could have remained in budget but try building an aircooled 2.5 with fuel injection and a reliable 180bhp for £3k. Not gonna happen.

Love your motor though buddy will be more rapid than mine I bet. Just hope the parts hold together :shock: ive seen a couple of big money aircooled engines go pop when pushed and cost the owners many thousands to sort.

StuF said:
Yes mate - understand the sentiment and would have remained aircooled if it could have remained in budget but try building an aircooled 2.5 with fuel injection and a reliable 180bhp for £3k. Not gonna happen.

Love your motor though buddy will be more rapid than mine I bet. Just hope the parts hold together :shock: ive seen a couple of big money aircooled engines go pop when pushed and cost the owners many thousands to sort.

Including the original build and then the refresh/upgrade my engines standing at about 10-11k but it’s got all the strongest parts in it, tbh it’s over engineered for a bus engine. There are engine builders and engine assemblers, lucky for me I’m very good friends with a top notch engine builder. Not gonna name names but some of the top ‘engine builders’ in the scene atm are twats, charge mega money and just sling parts together and produce unreliable and poor performing time bombs rather than engineering everything to work. If I didn’t use Hector Howe, I’d pick Ian Clarke at Wolfsburg performance services or Ritchie Webb as they have built fast, proven engines that last.

Overall yours will most likely be nicer to drive about town and no doubt more economical but all out performance I expect mine will take the crown.

K@rlos said:
StuF said:

Including the original build and then the refresh/upgrade my engines standing at about 10-11k but it’s got all the strongest parts in it, tbh it’s over engineered for a bus engine. There are engine builders and engine assemblers, lucky for me I’m very good friends with a top notch engine builder. Not gonna name names but some of the top ‘engine builders’ in the scene atm are twats, charge mega money and just sling parts together and produce unreliable and poor performing time bombs rather than engineering everything to work. If I didn’t use Hector Howe, I’d pick Ian Clarke at Wolfsburg performance services or Ritchie Webb as they have built fast, proven engines that last.

Overall yours will most likely be nicer to drive about town and no doubt more economical but all out performance I expect mine will take the crown.

Yep - yours will be a proper stonker and blow my waterpumper out of the sky! Although im not after overall speed just grunt to tow the rapido effortlessly, and christ 10/11k Clare would have me strung up if I spent that! Im running at around 6K total spend for the entire conversion and that includes the 5 speed reversed subaru crate gearbox.
Cant wait to see yours though 8)

Cost wise I’m past caring with my bus now :lol:

Regarding Francine and the price though, I’ve got round that by getting Hector to build a hot motor for her 59’ bug ;) :mrgreen:

A thread i can actually make a post to now!

I've built a 1915 engine for my van. I built it for torque not bhp particularly and it so driveable :)

Just got back from a trip down into France and back after breaking it in - ran lovely which was a relief as its the first engine i've built from scratch!

It was built with parts from my 1600 hence the choice for a few of the parts -

94mm barrels
Stock Crank, balanced and 8 doweled flywheel
stock cam
1.4 rockers
stock heads ported 3 angle job by GAC racing
8.6:1 compression ratio
twin dells 28 chokes
4-1 exhaust system
123 ignition
external oil filter and oil cooler (although not 100% sure this was needed)

i had it rolling roaded before france and was really pleased with the results - 120 lb ft torque and 87 bhp.

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

Thought I’d best update this:

2110cc 90.5x82
Genuine AS41 crankcase, full flowed & clearanced
CB performance 4340 82mm Chevy journal crank
Gene Berg equaliser pulley with Berg pulley bolt
Wedgemated & full weight genuine Vw flywheel
Gene Berg gland nut
Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate
Dalkien friction plate
CB performance 5.5” H-beam rods
Mahle forged 90.5mm stroker pistons & barrels
Tru-arc wrist pin clips
CB performance CNC ported 044 ultra mag heads
10:1 compression ratio
Stainless steel 42x37.5 valves
Heavy duty dual valve springs
Chromoly retainers & collets
CB performance 8mm head studs
Engle FK10 camshaft
CB performance straight cut cam gears
Udo Becker tool steel lifters
Fast fab push rod tubes
Manton chromoly push rods
Scat pro-comp 1.4:1 rockers
Scat-trac intake manifolds
Weber 48 IDA carbs
Berg grooved 40/35 vents
Holley red fuel pump
Holley Red pressure regulator
AN-6 Teflon ptfe fuel lines
CSP bellcrank linkage
CB performance 2 litre deep sump
Gene Berg 30mm oil pump
AN-10 Teflon ptfe oil lines
Remote fram hp1 filter
Mocal sandwich plate
Mocal 48 row remote cooler
Gene Berg pressure relief pump cover
A1 performance 1” 5/8 sidewinder header & muffler
Mallory uni-lite distributor, Hy-fire 6 control box & pro master coil
Taylor 8mm silicone ht leads
Scat tinware
75 amp alternator
Gene Berg race fan
CB performance bolt on rocker covers
Fast fab breather box
All moving parts balanced and match weighted
Lucas racing 20w50
Blue printed, heads & manifolds ported and built by Hector Howe

Mated to fully built 091 box with a super diff 1.08 3rd and 0.77 4th. With 215/60 15 tyres it cruises at 75mph at 3300 rpm.

Davydomes said:
Will you be taking it to Santa Pod to see what she can do?

Most certainly, It managed a 15.8 before so hopefully with a more potent engine and better suspension it should get mid to low 15’s

2054cc built by Richie Webb over 11 years ago for a friends bug ,

Cb044 heads
Modified kadrons 46mm throttles
Modified intakes
Fk8 cam
1.4 ratio rockers
Last year replacement barrels and pistons as 1 had ovaled
Lightened and dynamic balance
Full flow, csp breather tower linked to rockers and original fuel pump hole and carb
28row oil cooler and fan in chassis
Vintage volkshaus exhaust 1 5/8” tucked tailpipe
Petronix SVDA dizzy ( is being replaced by a 009!!! As the petronix seems to miss fire when hot 🥵)
5 rib pyramid box on 185/65 R15 rears cruising at 65mph is 3400rpm

Thought I’d dig this thread up and add the latest motor we’ve done to a bus, this time a 1969 sunroof deluxe belonging to Simon Henty (69 project)

1835cc 92x69 built by Hector Howe
Genuine AS41 case
92mm AA thick wall barrels & pistons
Countered Vw 69mm crankshaft
Scat crank pulley
Genuine VW 1600 rods
Lightened vw vanadium flywheel
Gene berg gland nut
Kennedy stage 1 clutch & dalken disc
Engle W110 camshaft with scat lightweight lifters
Scat helical timing gears
Scat 1.25: street comp rocker assembles
Chromoly push rods
CB performance 044’s, 40x35 valves & hd single springs
Scat stainless steel rocker covers (vented)
8.5:1 compression ratio
Dell’orto DRLA 40’s with velocity stacks & filters
Cb performance rotary fuel pump
Bugpack short manifolds
CSP bell crank linkage
1” 1/2 stainless header and quiet pack
Bosch 009 distributor with petronix ignition module
Bosch 8mm ht leads, coil & NGK plugs
Gene Berg 26mm full flow oil pump
Remote filter housing with fram hp1 filter
Mocal sandwich plate & oil cooler
Teflon ptfe oil lines with AN-8 fittings
Fast fab breather box
Fully blueprinted & balanced
Valvoline VR 1 20w50
Coupled to an 002 ‘freeway flyer’ gearbox

Should make in the region of 120 Hp and provide plenty of usable low down torque.

That's a nice specced engine. Out of curiosity, how much would something like that cost? I'm guessing at least 5 grand?

Yeah I wish, I reckon nothing less than 7k.
If you are right I'm getting one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Coda said:
That's a nice specced engine. Out of curiosity, how much would something like that cost? I'm guessing at least 5 grand?

The 1835? All in as it sits there probably 6-7ish? Hard to say, several variables tbf.

Just thought I'd chuck my curveball in as this thread's been revived...
1.9TDi PD150 (remapped to about 180bhp/300lbs/ft) from a Golf with Passat/A4 5-speed gearbox :msn4:

Bundy said:
Just thought I'd chuck my curveball in as this thread's been revived...
1.9TDi PD150 (remapped to about 180bhp/300lbs/ft) from a Golf with Passat/A4 5-speed gearbox :msn4:

My girlfriend has a polo with a 1.9tdi PD130 which I’ve mapped, decat’d and done an egr delete. Hers made 171hp on the rolling road, it’s rapid and still does 70mpg! I had to fit a stage 1 clutch as it slipped under boost in 2nd & 3rd :msn4: My bus will have it off the lights and keep ahead till about 100 mph the polo has 2 more gears :lol:

The PD is a phenomenal engine, not my cup of tea in a bus but each to their own 8) Have you replaced the cams in yours? The 150’s had the soft cam issue I think.

It's certainly rapid in the bus (makes the old Scooby 2.0 n/a seem slow) and makes it very relaxing to drive now...nice easy cable change gearshift too.
Not had the cam done yet...can wait till it goes! I had a PD150 Golf a few years ago and it did 210k miles before the cam followers went and this is only on about 140k at the mo. Treat them with the correct oil regularly and they last alot longer.
Only issue I seem to have is it not coming on boost low enough for some odd reason...spent ages playing with turbo adjustments too :?

Bundy said:
It's certainly rapid in the bus (makes the old Scooby 2.0 n/a seem slow) and makes it very relaxing to drive now...nice easy cable change gearshift too.
Not had the cam done yet...can wait till it goes! I had a PD150 Golf a few years ago and it did 210k miles before the cam followers went and this is only on about 140k at the mo. Treat them with the correct oil regularly and they last alot longer.
Only issue I seem to have is it not coming on boost low enough for some odd reason...spent ages playing with turbo adjustments too :?

Yeah I know the right oil helps, perhaps get the map looked at? Was it just generic map from a laptop or done on a rolling on a rolling road? Ours boosts clean and hard pretty much off idle. Like I say not my thing but I can imagine it’s a lovely set up in a bus, much better than a scooby. Their terrible engines imo. Eat head gaskets, water pumps and the ring lands on the pistons

K@rlos said:
Yeah I know the right oil helps, perhaps get the map looked at? Was it just generic map from a laptop or done on a rolling on a rolling road? Ours boosts clean and hard pretty much off idle. Like I say not my thing but I can imagine it’s a lovely set up in a bus, much better than a scooby. Their terrible engines imo. Eat head gaskets, water pumps and the ring lands on the pistons

It's a Revo map...generic job. I am thinking of getting a rolling road tuner to look at it, but it drives well enough for it to not be a priority at the mo ;)
The Scoob was a great step up from a standard engine and served me well, but this it a different league in terms of driveability and grunt.

Bundy said:
K@rlos said:

It's a Revo map...generic job. I am thinking of getting a rolling road tuner to look at it, but it drives well enough for it to not be a priority at the mo ;)
The Scoob was a great step up from a standard engine and served me well, but this it a different league in terms of driveability and grunt.

Yeah man I bet. I’m an hgv mechanic so all for a bit of diesel grunt :mrgreen:

Latest posts