Blocking holes in rear tinware

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny69

Reaction score
Hi all

I need to block up the hole for the carburettor hot air pick up that's n the rear tinware (not the shroud but the tinware itself). Can you buy blanking plates or anything - I've seen the plugs for the shroud but I don't need these - any ideas?

This

Johnny

I've never seen anything for sale like that although you can buy a replacement tinware piece with only 2 holes.

I've seen someone user the lid from a small paint tin before that seemed to be a perfect fit!

My tinware had the hole welded up.

Not sure if its what you mean but I have just ordered this

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Baywindow_Products~Baywindow_Engine_Products~Baywindow_1600cc_Engine_Products~1600cc_Air_Cooling_System~Tinware~Twin_Port/AC119543C/T1_Tin_Over_Exhaust_Plain_-OB-Black-CB-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they do the with/without air/preheat holes too

I scribed a circle with a compass on a bit of thin steel that was just a bit bigger than the hole in the tinware and cut with tin-snips.

I made three V-shaped notched around the edge so that I could get a screw through without damaging the tinware, and secured with self-tappers and speed-nuts.

A402C639-5E57-4224-9FE1-1E369CAA4386.jpg

(Flat speed nuts like this)
01782_a_speednutflat2_3.jpg

jonboylaw said:
I used a couple of jam jar lids back to back either side of the tin ware and an m4 nut and screw. For the heat risers I used a cardboard template and cut some 2mm aluminium sheet.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Great idea - I'll try this!

i somehow managed to find a rubber bung that was just the right size. I actually gave away my only spare today to someone else who saw how i did it and wanted to know where it came from... I have absolutely no idea where i found it, but its like a wiring grommet with the hole filled in.

Not sure if it the same hole but it does look it.
I've used the lids off metal conduit boxes, most DIY should sell them in the electrical dept.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/COLID.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If link doesn't work, just google:-

Black metal conduit box lid

Cheers Nige..

Latest posts