boiling battery????????????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top it up with de-ionised water (unless its a maintenance free one then you need a new battery) and get someone with a volt meter to see what it charging at. Ideally 14.2v but anything from 13.6 upwards is ok. Anything above 14.4v and its being over charged.
9 out of 10 times its the regulator that knackered (assuming you've still got a dynamo OR and externally regulated alternator)

Tested alternator today it was giving out 18v at 2500rpm :? It was a new regulator it was meant for 1700cc type 4 engine I had it on my type 1 both alternators are rated the same :?:
Do you reckon it's a dodge regulator? :roll:

Yes deffo sounds like a regulator is required, not to sure that a type 4 alternator regulator is the same as a type 1 regulator though (i take it you do have a alternator and not a dynamo?)

Just one thing to check before you replace the regulator/alternator. Borrow another battery that you know is ok from another car or whatever and then re check the voltage.

There is a possibility your battery has an internal short which can cause the alternator voltage to rise higher than it should.

Its worth just doing this quick double check before spending money and time.

ps. Never run any alternator without a battery connected - even for a moment.

Latest posts