Bolt on rocker covers fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying bolt on rocker covers and neoprene rubber gaskets. My question is how do the bolt on covers go on? Thank you in advance. Just want to add this is a bog standard engine. I’m changing my pushrod tubes and thought I would sort this at the same time.

You need to buy a set of extensions, too.

This kind of thing: https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ac1019086-rocker-cover-bolt-kit.html

Bolt on isn't for me... I don't personally see a benefit over the stock set up.

In either set up they key is getting good quality cork seals and apply a wee bit of oil to them before you seat them.

Cheers all. My current rocker covers are not original and in all honesty I’m not sure if the are leaking but I am changing pushrod tubes the adjustable ones turned up this morning from Machine7. I’ve removed and cleaned the sump plate to get all the old gasket material off so thought I would change rocker covers at the same time. My thinking the bolt on ones would be a better seal than the reproduction ones that are on at the moment

They have extensions that replace the rocker shaft stud nuts and you then screw bolts through the covers into the extensions to fit them. Decent bolt ons are pricey, Only worth buying though if you’ve got high lift cams & rockers interference issues inside covers. It would be un needed expense on your engine, if you want to jazz it up a bit get eve stainless steel scat covers. They look smart but retain the bail clip design and cork gaskets.

Can always bend the bail clips a bit so they pull the cover down tighter to the head.

I’d say if your rocker covers aren’t leaking, keep using them as they are. I had an issue with one of mine where it was forever weeping from one of the corners. Both were presumed aftermarket copies of the original, one was dry, the other was not. I tried a smear of gasket sealant, grease etc but still the weep. They are near impossible to check for flatness on the sealing face due to the lip.

Eventually, I bought another aftermarket cover, and problem solved.

If they seal, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t keep sealing with new gaskets and more importantly, a good clean before refitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate just to say I’ve been down the route of scat covers and then csp bolt on covers and eventually went back to original vw rocker covers and cork gaskets with a little sealant or oil and to be honest wish I’d kept the original from the start as you can’t go wrong with these and as Karlos says bend the bail arms or even better get good quality new ones original in my opinion is best.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will stay with my original covers. I’m going to order a load of service parts today so I will add two cork gaskets. You never know they may take me over the £50 for free postage.

With stock covers and cork gaskets I always stick the gaskets to the cover with some sealant, I’ve neevr had any issues of leaking with that method.

My go to sealant is Loctite SI 5980, built many engines with this stuff. Aircooled vw, American v8 and big diesels, it’s not cheap but comes in a handy applicator tube and works great.

thejinx said:
Cheers Karlos. I shall get some in. To cold to get under the van at moment so no rush
True that! Ironically I want to get in the bus to fit a heater but it’s too cold to do it!

Latest posts