Boris

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed a 3 hour getaway on Sunday, the local vw club had a meet at Hazelbury Mill just outside Yeovil.
They are called Scrumpy Dubbers, and was a very good turn out for just an afternoon get together.

Food, live music, stalls, for sale section and a section for the kids.
Mostly dominated by the water pumpers but still a good few others, should have taken more photo's.

Away to Dorset's Durdle Door for a 3 night stay and hopefully some walking if the weather holds.
Then preparations for the long trip up to Wrexham, the following weekend. :shock: :shock:

Stay safe everyone.Look after yourselves.

J & P
:D :D :D

Managed a 3 night getaway to possibly one of the best camp sites in Blighty.
Durdle Door, and camping right on the cliff overlooking the spectacular "hole in the rock".

Spent our time doing some serious walking up and over some very steep cliff's. Included a walk to Lulworth cove
an ice cream and a beach walk.

Drove all the way there and back without any hassle, then told Pippa after we had cleaned out Boris , just going for a 5 min drive
so I can register the new tracker that arrived. A mile from home , an empty Boris and whack the clutch hits the floor. :shock: :shock:
Walk home, fill Pippa's car with tool's and after three hours on my back in the local car park, I got back home.Clutch link pin sheared.
Oh the joy was palpable. :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Off to Wrexham this coming weekend for a new engine.

Keep well all , and stay safe out there.

J & P

fallingoffalot said:
Looks like a fantastic location!

Did you have a new link pin, or did you improvise something?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Very fortunate to have an original in my box of spares. :) :)
Hoping this one will outlast me. :lol: :lol:

J & P

mike202 said:
Nice camping spot. Well done with the clutch fix. My throttle cable snapped in the garage at home a few years ago, how lucky was that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Would be great if everything went wrong close to home. :lol: :lol:

J & P

What spec is the new engine? Be sure to fit a remote oil cooler, a thermo-static sandwich plate on the filter housing and use proper high pressure oil lines rather than push on hose with hose clamps. Will cost a few quid but it’s cheaper than having a hose blow off and kill a new engine.

I only fit Teflon hoses as it doesn’t deteriorate like rubber.

Hi Karlos,
It will be a 2017 and Abel has just this weekend been given the bus.(wrexham) Damn it's a f... long way from Somerset.
With stops not lasting longer than 20 min it took me 6 hours. Took Pippa four hours this morning to fetch me
and another 4.30 to get home again. Spec wise the sheet will become published when we go back to fetch him.
Because we live so far, Abel will be doing the 100 mile pre oil change trip and the rolling road set up.
So when all is done then we will do it all over again and fetch the bus.

I am bus bereft and the space in the garage is a little worrying.

Not just that but we have just accepted an offer on our house. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Circumstances dictate that we sell now unfortunately as the mortgage is due in four years time and we could never afford to repay
that amount in that time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

New chapters and all that, scary but exciting times. Hope you enjoyed the Dorset trip as much as us.

Stay safe everyone and be careful out there.

J & P

K@rlos said:
What spec is the new engine? Be sure to fit a remote oil cooler, a thermo-static sandwich plate on the filter housing and use proper high pressure oil lines rather than push on hose with hose clamps. Will cost a few quid but it’s cheaper than having a hose blow off and kill a new engine.

I only fit Teflon hoses as it doesn’t deteriorate like rubber.
Hey mate, how are you? :D

It`s been a while! Life has been a bi%^& here with divorce and all lol :lol:

Specs for Boris`s 2017cc engine is as follows:

All new parts

Gen VW AS41 case
4340 78.4mm crank(balanced assembly with the gears on)
200 mm forged flywheel
Kennedy Stage 1 clutch cover
36mm HD chromoly glandnut
5.4" I beam forged rods(balanced to 0.1g)
AA stroker 90.5mm pistons and barrels(balanced to 0.1g)
AA 500 heads with 40x35.5mm stainless valves(mild port, mainly cleaning, blending and comp valve job)
Scat C25 cam kit
Schadek 26mm pump plugged for full flow
Thin line deep sump

The engine will be using all Gen VW tin, including thermostate and flaps.
Carbs will be dual 34 ICT`S with CB manifolds and CSP linkage

A good torquey engine that will last a long time and push Boris uphill with ease :mrgreen:

Abel

Here we have the crank with Gen VW shot peened gears on, the forged flywheel and the Kennedy pp all balanced.

Crank was very good, the Kennedy too but the flywheel was way off. It was supposedly a balanced from factory unit that costs around £200 :roll:

Case is machined for 90.5mm barrels. I do it step bored so it only removes material in the needed areas, leaving the case stronger.
I also spot face every single case saver to avoid the barrels sitting on it.

Internally, all sharp edges are removed, and hand clearanced for the stroker crank again removing only the needed material ;)

The flimsy Brazilian oil pick up tube is removed by drilling the alu plug, then a precise tool pushes the tube out.
I then get a German tube, seal it, tap the gallery and plug it. That connection between the tube and case is very critical, as if the oil level is low, the pump will suck air and bubbles will be formed, making the oil pressure oscillate and that could damage the engine.

I also install 12.9 grade Loctited allen bolts from inside out to hold the deep sump properly :D

Scat C25 cam, great upgrade from stock; idle like stock with twin carbs, loads of down low torque :msn4:

Gen VW cam gear

Schadek 26mm oil pump being checked for clearance on the cam bolts; it needed clearancing :lol:

The pump was then pinned again. Also plugged for full flow and blueprinted for a zero clearance with the cover which was also machined. The clearance will come from the thin paper gasket ;)

:party0049: I love the AA 500 heads. They are made of a decent easily machineable alloy, have loads of cooling passages just like the OEM, uses a long reach spark plug, have a modern heart shaped combustion chamber for an efficient combustion, have a solid chunk of material around the combustion chamber and have a 20% larger intake runner. Win win in my book.

On Boris`s engine, we`re using a 40x35.55 valved version that needed some blending work around the bowl and the radiused area under the seats. A decent competition valve job topped it off :party0049:

Latest posts