Brakes lines/master cylinder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev

Reaction score
Hi,

Just replaced all my brakes lines, cylinders, shoes etc on my 1970 bay. Bled them back up to a decent pedal but now brakes are really crap. Like they only just stop the bus at rolling speed and that's literally standing on the pedal.

I think I may have plumbed the new lines to the M/C the wrong way round now; could this put less power to front and more to rear?

On m/c has one exit hole that does look a tad smaller than the other two, but I presumed this was for the switch?

Anyone got a picture of their m/c plumbed in or an exploded diagram on a 1970?

Thanks.

I would suggest you need to bleed the brakes again. If your bus has a compensator then dont forget to bleed that as well.

T2-05-P30-1.jpg

I've seen this diagram on Heritage. Mine doesn't have a compensator. I know I've deffo put the back line to the back of the M/C. And his show back line to front outlet so that might be it. But what about the smaller outlet?

Thanks again.

I haven't seen one with a smaller outlet. Apart from the twin ports for the reservoirs and the two pipe connections there's only two ports for pressure switches and one which holds the peg bolt that retains the rearmost piston assembly - that's the one that stops the rearmost piston coming out.

Have you dismantled the master cylinder? If so this may be because its not correctly assembled. If on the other hand it hasn't been apart and was working fine then it's got to be down to air in the lines, so that your only getting one of the two circuits working I think.

Had another 3 hours tonight on it. Bled it up 3 times. No air whatsoever in the system.

Weird tho as when you pump the back brakes then loosen the bleed valve the pedal drops to the floor like it should, however when you bleed the fronts the pedal only goes about half way down and then stops before it hits the floor; literally like something is stopping the pedal (but nothing is).

Only thing I think of is M/C is broke, but it was fine when I took it off to change all the brakes.

Aaaaargh! Really annoying. I've literally had the whole front end off, notched the chassis, made and fitted and new link pin beam, new rear end and THE BLOODY brakes are the only thing stopping me going to my own show this weekend!!!!

Sorry to moan!

Latest posts