Broken down - again Part Two

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Drove from Manchester to Chester this morning and around Chester with no problems. Then on the way home on the motorway, complete loss of power. Pulled onto the hard shoulder.

Engine turns over but doesn't fire. Definitely has fuel as I put £15 in 5 minutes ago. Any ideas?

Electric fuel pump, twin carbs, electronic ignition.

Nothing in the fuel filter from what I can see. Too dark now to do anything.
Had enough for today. I'll sort it out in the morning.

If you have pressure regulator, check its not failed, sounds exactly like the symptoms I saw on the A1 a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all. Well I'm home and guess what, started on the turn of the key so I could at least get it onto the drive.
Also I think my fuel pump is in the wrong place, should be In the engine bay.

i would check the wiring to the pump, and coil, it sounds like it may have been vibration induced, if you have a chafe or a loose connection it would kill the pump therefore no fuel and a loss of power, if its started again after a short time then sounds like either heat or vibration has caused your issue.

jonboylaw said:
Is it a suction pump or a push pump. Suction pumps need to be in the engine bay.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Suction. Reading up on how to move it into the engine bay without too much fuss.

4ad4be009798341a76dfd1503ae259c1.jpg

This is where I mounted my Huco suction pump. Has an inertia switch wired in series in case of accident.

jonboylaw said:
4ad4be009798341a76dfd1503ae259c1.jpg

This is where I mounted my Huco suction pump. Has an inertia switch wired in series in case of accident.

Cheers Jon

Well it's not the Huco pump, that's because there isn't one installed. It's a facet pump near the gearbox, so back to square one.
Worked fine all day, returning home got on the motorway five minutes later sudden loss of power, no shuddering or warning, just gone. Three hours later starts once I got back home...

It seems that you are running round in circules and getting know were !!! Why not try process of elimitation. You say after stopping it later starts. Do'es it start first turn of key ? If it does there must be fuel in Carb.Before you go any farther check the connection to cut out valve on side of carb. When it stops again put a test light on positive terminal of coil with ignition on. Do'es it light up ? If it does can your hear ticking from fuel pump. If test light does not light up you have a problem with electrical connection.The electical connection is fed from ignition switch. It could be a bad connection somewhere. Disconnect live feed to coil and connect a wire from + terminal of battey to +terminal of coil and try and start. If this works it tells you that the problem is in the connection from ignition. Check wires that go into ignition switch. I run a Ghia and electical connections to ignition switch are plug in.I'm not familiar to type 2 but principal is the same. To stop engine you will have to disconnect this wire.Another member mentioned electronic ignition module,I have had problems before with Accuspark ignition so I advice always carry a spare set of points and condensor. Some one else has mentioned coil, also worth checking out. Hope you get it sorted out .
Robert

hello
do you have a fuel pressure regulator fitted ?
sounds exactly the same as what happened to me
cheap regulator set at 3.5 psi
it was fine until I got on to a dual carrageway
turned out it wasn't delivering enough fuel to the carbs
solved the problem by turning it up to 4.5
norm :D

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll start going through things one at a time.
What's annoying is I can't replicate the fault every time, sometimes it'll get where it needs to go, other times not. Very frustrating.

norm said:
hello
do you have a fuel pressure regulator fitted ?
sounds exactly the same as what happened to me
cheap regulator set at 3.5 psi
it was fine until I got on to a dual carrageway
turned out it wasn't delivering enough fuel to the carbs
solved the problem by turning it up to 4.5
norm :D

I agree with this, your fuel delivery isn't matching your fuel use so not keeping your carbs full...good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts