Bugpack red shocks?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexer

Reaction score
I have been told that the shocks i need to go for are bugpack reds but cant seem to find anyone selling the ones i need

They will be going on a 4 1/2" narrowed slamwerks king and link beam.

If you can provide a link i will be a happy bunny

Rex

Are these the ones i need?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Shocks-Bugpack-Double-Loop-Lowered-375-245mm-Pair_act_shop.product_pID_104943_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

104943_01_med.jpg

They appear the same as these -

http://www.bugwelder-shop.com/t2dshop/product_info.php?info=p16_T2D-Slam-Shocks--Bay-and-Split-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or these maybe ?
http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Product~Suspension_-P-_Steering_Products~Shock_Absorbers~Bugpack_Shock_Absorbers/AC413650720/Eye_Top_-P-_Eye_Bottom_Bugpack_Shock_Absorbers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rexer said:
I have been told that the shocks i need to go for are bugpack reds but cant seem to find anyone selling the ones i need

They will be going on a 4 1/2" narrowed slamwerks king and link beam.

If you can provide a link i will be a happy bunny

Rex

I would go for KYB GR2s on this set up , !

just my opinion :msn4:

Thanks for all the replies dudes, one thing i need clearing up is that my lower arms have been narrowed (slamwerks). I have tried fitting my old early bay standard shocks but they are too wide for the stud on the lower arm and i cant get a nut on there.

Are the bug pack/KYB ones narrower?

can anyone answer the above please before i order them, just need to know if the bottom eye is wider on a standard bay shock over these, they have to go on a narrowed lower arm

You'll probably need to narrow the shock mounting (on the shock itself) yourself with a grinder - if that's what you mean?

Really? Not happy about that one bit as the inner bush only just sticks out of the outer eye a it is. Have you had to do that to yours?

when i fitted bugpack coil overs i had to cut about 10mm ish off the shock if i remember correctly, i was still happy that there was enough left though. perhaps post up a pick?? :?

Could post one up of an original shock on the new arms but not got new ones yet. Basically the stud does not stick out enough to get a washer and nut on.

Oh. That doesn't sound good. I don't know anything about narrowed stuff my arms were stock and the std shock obviously fitted fine. It was aftermarket shocks that had wider mountings that I needed to cut down. I think you can change the shock mounting bolt in the arms for a larger one think I saw something like that in the Bentley manual. It is the bottom mount your talking about yeah?

Ok, did some measurements today and here is the problem

The inner bush of the original bay shocks are 42mm and so are the studs on the lower arms

6313a5f3.jpg

with the (old) inner bush slipped on

d6bb4900.jpg

I took 10mm off the bush and managed to get a nylock on there but the rubber bush is now too wide for it to work, took some of the rubber off but to get it so sit right and bolt up would mean taking it off flush with the metal eye of the shock, this in my opinion is totally not right as the shock could slip off the rubber and the shock would just hang there from the top mount.

I cant find any dimensions for any shocks on the net so really need someone to measure their shocks for me.

Need the following dimensions :-

Lower eye width
Inner bush width
Rubber width
Stud length

Then i have to sort out getting the lower stud to not foul the beam mounting bolt !!!! :roll:

Thinking this bolt on kit is a bit of a nightmare

Can anyone tell me how wide their bug pack shocks are please, or any shocks that will fit on the splitty bottom arms???

Latest posts