Cabin door locks. 1971 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHutch

Reaction score
Hi, neither of my cab doors open with the key once shut and locked. I took the door cards off and oiled everything and the locks work well with the door open - key turns easily and the chrome lock opens and closes. Once the doors are shut locked, the key will not open them. I then have to pull both the lock and the handle internally to get the door open - it feels like it's catching on something.

Any thoughts ?
Cheers

I had the same issue on mine and it was the tiny springs that are part of the lock mechanism inside the door. You can buy replacement springs from VW heritage but it's really fiddly.

Have a look at this thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46813&p=390501#p390501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have now had the 2 small springs replaced in the cab door locks but still have a problem with the passenger side.

I can lock and unlock the door with the door closed but if I pull the opening lever on the outside when the door is closed and locked then the door cannot be opened from the outside. I've had a torch on the mechanism and it looks like the plate that gets pushed across (when the external door lever is used) is not returning to the original position when released. Is there another spring that might be missing ?

No, the only spring is the one you have replaced as per below.
1258496.jpg

These door locks were supplied to VW by different manufacturers, and there are slight differences between the different makes,
even though they have the same part no. That little return spring , and its mounting points, is one of the differences. I have at hand a L&R set of
211-837-016G from "BOMORO" and a 211-837-015G from WITTE, and the little springs are different, and not at all interchangeable.

Will have a look at my lock but from memory, I remember seeing the bit of spring on the left and not the bit where the A is pointing - I wonder if it's been connected to the wrong thing ?
Cheers

dude did you get this sorted? having the same problem with mine :(
works perfectly until u pull the handle when its locked then it won't unlock.. very frustrating!

Yes, had the spring replaced. Had to be done twice as it came out after the first time - that's why I could not see the bit of spring on the left after it was fixed first time.

The mechanism has to be removed and the spring is very small and fiddly.

Latest posts