Campervan in crisis!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slight lull in the crap weather and as the other half is back from that there darn sarf we've set to work on the BBBB once more.

First of all a much awaited phonecall from Volksheaven telling us that some doors we ordered quite a while back have finally arrived. Very lovely, Californian and rust free! We originally intended to just fit new door skins but it looked like it was going to be too much like hard work so decided that this would be a better move. Have to say I'm really pleased with the results as they fitted beautifully first time and improved the overall look of the bus 100%. And do I get a prize for sussing that Wayne of Volksheaven is an ex member of The Exploited or has someone on EarlyBay spotted that already?

Look, we've got an autographed door! Does this increase the value of BBBB?

wayne.jpg

Got two door skins surplus to requirements now! Will probably put them up for sale eventually but they're stored away fairly safely for the moment.

The rear wheel arch was also welded on properly today - slight distortion but not too bad after a few heavy blows with a panel beater's hammer. I slapped on a bit of filler for good measure and all is good.

filler.jpg

The other half got a bit crazy with the grinder the last time we did any major work and cut off the rear corner on the driver's side with intentions to replace it - made sure he welded it back on today because they cost too much to replace and it wasn't that bad anyway. Took him nearly 2 hours and served him right! Good welding and full penetration and all that - well solid but again some slight distortion.

penetration-1.jpg

He's also halfway there with some plating at the rear end...

plating.jpg

And she's getting more and more solid every time we work on her. Today she started looking like a bus again albeit one knocked up by Dr Frankenweld. Slightly patchwork, a bit filled in here and there, but I'm dead chuffed because it feels like we've come on in leaps and bounds since getting her back to Leeds. If the weather is good tomorrow we'll hopefully get a bit more done.

The results are staring to speak for themselves though - remember that inner beauty thing when we first started? I think it's starting to show through :)

wevegotabus.jpg

From another Leeds (up on the hill top) earlybay.

Loving the work on the van - keep the pictures coming.

To answer your question about the holes in the wheel arches - they were for seat belts. Are you coming to Harewood this August?

What are your plans for the interior?

Please can you give me details of the Leeds upholstery guy.

Tintop said:
From another Leeds (up on the hill top) earlybay.

Which hill top are you on? We occupy a fairly lofty position ourselves overlooking Rodley, Horsforth, Cookridge and some of Kirkstall valley. If you're near please feel free to don the overalls and get mucked in - the more the merrier!

Sadly we won't be going to Harewood as we're surfing south west for two weeks before I finally go back to work. We would have liked to go just to see some finished buses and maybe source some bits, and even though lots of people seem to slag it off it's one of the few VW events we seem to have in this neck of the woods.

We've not got any major plans for the interior as yet although getting some seats in would be a fairly good start! There's definitely going to be a rock and roll bed but we're going to have a go at making it from scratch with a Just Kampers kit. Very ambitious :)

I don't know much about the interior upholstery bloke - it was someone else on EarlyBay that mentioned him. We're keeping this in mind but I'm seriously thinking of having a go at doing some of the upholstery myself if I can to try and keep the cost down.

Looks like there'll be no seat belts in the rear for us as the holes are now long gone - Guess it'll make for a more exciting ride then... :twisted:

Latest posts