Camping in Scandinavia

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blogdroed

Reaction score
We're thinking of different places we might visit this summer and Scandinavia has popped up. Has anyone used the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry?

Would anybody recommend Denmark and Sweden as a camping holiday?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

blogdroed said:
We're thinking of different places we might visit this summer and Scandinavia has popped up. Has anyone used the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry?

Would anybody recommend Denmark and Sweden as a camping holiday?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The West coast of Norway is nice. I know as I live here 
Here is a link to a road trip one of the members of VWNorge did
http://www.vwnorge.no/index.php/topic,41756.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great pictures, route/map and you will probably understand most the text it if using http://translate.google.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The North of Norway, Lofoten area is also great, but that is a longer trip :)

It's a few years since I took the Hawich-Esbjerg ferry, long before I bought my bus, and it still sticks in my mind as being a very good journey, second only to the Norwegian Hurtigruten (foot passenger on that though).

We headed from Esbjerg to Kolding, which has a huge lake and fairytale castle, and is very convenient for the REAL Legoland at Billund. The roads were just fantastic to drive on, so clear of traffic and well maintained. Surprisingly, the weather seemed very mild, and the fauna looked terribly British if you know what I mean :D .

Camping is huge in Denmark...in fact, this has prompted me to put it on my wish list for a return trip. I suspect it is a bit pricey on the ferry though. :D

if you do the harwich - esjberg ferry you could then do the coppenhagen to oslo to get into norway. I have done this second one after a long drive and was an ace ferry and journey.

I agree I would head to norway, there are two roads i am desperate to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollstigen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.visitnorway.com/the-atlantic-road" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My girlfriend an I took a trip to Öland (Sweden) last year and it was really great. Sweden is packed with campsites. Myself is from Denmark Copenhagen. The north West-side of Jutland (Jylland) is also really something and you can drive on the beach 8)

Toured Denmark and Sweden in the bus and took the DFDS ferry both times. Cabins comfy and the onboard food is good. Live entertainment in the bar In the evenings. Disembark at about 1pm which gives enough time to drive to Copenhagen arriving around 5-6pm.
Or drive up to Frederickshaven, overnight in hotel and catch the early morning catermeran to Gothenburg, takes about 2 hours. Two weeks of nice weather both times.
Going back to Denmark next year. Recommended.
Book early and two people, van, posh cabin with breaky about £600 return.

Priscilla1969 said:
Going back to Denmark next year. Recommended.
Book early and two people, van, posh cabin with breaky about £600 return.

Roughly what I have paid to get to Jersey this summer. I am now seriously thinking of Denmark for next year :D.

I usually book in Dec or Jan for the August to get that price. Either direct with DFDS through their website or sometimes cheaper with the Caravan Club's 10% off.

Priscilla1969 said:
I usually book in Dec or Jan for the August to get that price. Either direct with DFDS through their website or sometimes cheaper with the Caravan Club's 10% off.

Good tip, thanks. Got the nod of approval from the missus to go for this next year.

K

DFDS ferry booked for next August. Prices up a bit this year. Return trip Harwich -Esbjerg, posh cabin going, breakfast both ways, two people. About £750.
Ferry does seem busier each time we go, all the Scandi crime on the telly making it a more popular destination maybe!

Perhaps an idea for us for 2015, also be interested to know how dog friendly these places are. I have been to Norway but that was 26 years ago, with the military, all I can remember was we travelled on a Fred Olsen ferry and beer was expensive :lol:

We don't have a dog so can't comment other than I'm sure we have seen some on some camp sites. If you go to the visitdenmark website you can get details on all the campsites. Alcohol costs more than the Uk but not a big difference. Usually take some ales with us so not an issue.

Latest posts